Chapter 2

New winds

Chapter:

The day Cara got her first internship was splendid.

If you ignore the part where she was utterly embarrassed by her boss's son and her meeting with the manager of a cafe.

So you probably couldn't say her day went splendid. It were Mr. George's words after Zach had left the office, that made Cara almost forget about his immature son.

Keyword: almost.

But its hard to ignore someone when they're sitting two tables down, stirring their coffee while shamelessly staring at you.

Cara shifted uncomfortably again in her seat, while flipping the page of a manuscript she was undoubtedly not paying attention to. Her eyes averted from the folder, to her desk, and then they quickly peeked at Zach to find him in the exact same position. Cara's rosy cheeks made him grin broader. Oh how he loved to make girls squirm.

At last, she cleared her throat. Shaking away the locks of hair she was using to hide her face with, she looked up at the amused man.

"You're coffee's probably cold now," she said, with a hint of pride.

Zach stretched his neck and leaned back, a gesture he knew drove girls crazy.

He popped his full lips before saying,

"What coffee are you talking about?"

Cara stared in amusement and a glint of confusion in her eyes.

"That coffee in your-"

Zach tipped his mug towards the girl and showed her the completely empty and clean interior of the blue mug. Well there goes all her pride.

Watching Cara's poker face, Zach let out a chuckle and smirked. She rolled her eyes before turning back to the manuscript.

Oh Lord, how will I be able to survive the next six months with him? Have mercy on me.

But you know what they say, saved by the bell.

That day, however, Cara was saved by her boss who came striding out of his office and stopped in front of her desk with a pleased grin plastered on his face.

"How's everything going, newby?"

From the corner of her eye, she saw Zach place his cup of imaginary coffee down on his desk.

He grimaced at the nick name. He knew his dad was not here to make conversation with his new worker, but to boast about something he had achieved. Again.

Cara, however, smiled and nodded her head.

"Its all going great sir. I have skimmed through some manuscripts and I found no mistakes in the manufacturing. I'll look over those complaints later on today and try to answer most of them," she said.

"And what about the situation with Comoros?" George asked, his grin broadening.

Cara's smile fell and she looked sheepishly towards her boss.

"Yes, about that. I don't think they'll be too glad-"

"Oh but they are! I just got an email from the president. We'll be enroute to Comoros by the next two weeks. My engineers are mapping the water-bearing areas as we speak!" George said with such delight, that his eyes literally shone with happiness.

However, Cara couldn't reply with the same response- or tone of response.

Instead, she plastered on the fakest smile she could muster while yelping with 'happiness'.

"That's great news sir!"  She squeaked.

Zach watched from afar, an amused grin on his face while he scoffed at Cara's helpless attempt to pretend like she was happy for her boss. He'd seen that too many times. The familiar fake smiles, pride.. And the familiar sickening feeling he felt every time. His smile fell.

"I know right- uh. I mean, very well,", George ran a hand down his elegent tie and fixed his composture. He nodded towards his son who was still looking at them and walked away.

It was silent for a while, besides the usual hushed conversations between colleagues.

Cara awkwardly turned in her seat and her eyes quickly glanced at a lost-looking Zach.

When he noticed her looking at him, he quickly straightened up and smirked his signature smirk.

Cara rolled her eyes. For once, she thought that she could see an emotion other than pride or smugness in his eyes.

But that thought completely crumbled under his smug stare.

"What?" She snapped, glaring at him.

"I do-" he quickly snapped his mouth shut. His eyes averted towards someone behind Cara.

For the very first time since she met him, she saw fear in his eyes. Ladies and gentlemen, Zachary George was scared.

Cara squinted in confusion and twisted in her seat to look behind her. Beside the vending machine, office workers and the receptionist, stood a tall blonde woman.

Her beach blonde hair stopped short right beneath her shoulders and she was wearing a navy blue coat and skirt, which should have not looked so good on a tall woman like her. But it did. And she was gorgeous.

Conciously, Cara tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear and straightened out her dress. She looked around and realized that she wasn't the only one feeling conscious and over whelemed by the woman's presence.

Every woman was fixing her appearance and every man sitting elegently in his seat, stealing a glance at the nameless woman from time to time.

The woman suddenly turned around, and her eyes met Cara's.
Cold and blue, thought Cara.

The Cold Blonde, as Cara had named her, gave a sardonic smile. Which of course, confused her to an extent.

Suddenly, she remembered the purpose of initialy turning around and snapped her head towards Zach.

But he was no longer there.