Instincts

The afternoon bled into evening both faster and slower than Yusuke would have liked. He wanted this whole mess over with. It was far too similar to the last trap Genkai had sprang on them. Really, despite what everyone might think of him, Yusuke could and actually did learn, and pretty damn fast, if he wanted to. If he saw a purpose for it. As it happened, he had decided a while ago that what the old hack had to teach was well worth learning, no matter how much he might complain at times. Which is why he was less than trilled to be going headfirst into what could only be a trap, not having the slightest idea what would expect him and Kurama at the address that the brunette had given them. He was also confused by the redhead's behavior- and really, if they get their asses kicked because fox boy had somehow developed a crash on the stupid woman, he will kill them both.

               She wasn't even that amazing, anyway, Kurama could most certainly do better than that psycho. Somehow the thought made him even more angry, as he approached an unfamiliar, high end neighborhood. The houses were all imposing, at least two floors tall, with flower gardens in the front. Some even had swimming pools in the back. Everything was entirely too clean, too neat, and too weirdly perfect. The flowers were all in bloom, the streets were clean, there was even a posh looking lady walking her tiny, white terrier, pink bow and all. On the damn dog. Who puts a pink bow on top of a dog's head, anyway? Yusuke shakes his head. He sticks out like a sore thumb here, but then, he's expected anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

               Kurama is already waiting for him in front of one of those houses-come-mansions. To the surprise of absolutely nobody, he looks perfectly at ease, as though he belongs here, in this too posh neighborhood, where Yusuke himself half expects to be lifted by police on principle. He looks just like he did this morning, dressed in his school uniform, red hair flying artfully wild on his back, and green eyes so intense it kind of makes the spirit detective's skin prickle. So, really, nothing at all surprising here. Yusuke's gotten used to the strange uneasiness that Kurama's full, undivided attention, sometimes (always) provokes in him. Nowadays, he's learned not to think about it anymore. Between training with Genkai, potential death at the Dark Tournament and now, the oncoming Apocalypse, whatever this weird prickling at his senses was, he just didn't have the time to worry about it. And it's not like he was finding excuses in order to avoid thinking about this, not at all. Those were all very real, very dangerous problems, and as spirit detective, they were all squarely on Yusuke's shoulders.

                "Yo, Kurama, do you know what's waiting for us inside?" the spirit detective askes when he gets close enough to his friend.

               The two of them look at the house in front of them. It's painted white, like every other house in the neighborhood, and it's built on two levels. The only thing that distinguishes it from the rest of the houses is the size of the garden and the intricate patterns created by the rather impressive number of flowers in it. The vibrant green, coupled with the multicolor flowers are truly impressive, even for someone as completely aesthetically and botanically blind as Yusuke. Kurama, though, is examining the plants with knowing interest.

               "I am not entirely certain, but I'm sure that we will find out soon."

               With that, they both make their way to the door, which opens on its own once they reach the front step.

               "That's not creepy at all," Yusuke comments drily. Kurama just inclines his head in agreement, his face betraying nothing.

               As soon as they step inside, the door behind them closes. There is a sharp click of the lock falling into place, despite there being no visible lock.