Chapter 3

Isabelle hesitated, then spoke, "your so lucky I don't slap people in church. So damn lucky". Then she turned away and gave her full attention to the minister. "Today we celebrate the life of Megan Debruijn, a girl bright in personality and spirit, a strong representative of our town, though she was only 17....." The minister continued with some bible mumbo jumbo.

Austin felt his eyes slide over to Isabelle. Girls never refuse 'The Austin Donoho'. She must be on drugs or something, he thought. Austin decided to ask her out again, but not in church, with Megan there. Not at school where everyone could see. No, Austin thought with a grin spreading on his face, he'd ask Isabelle out away from prying eyes. Where she could say what she really wanted to do, not what society wanted her to do.

The guests filled outdoors to the cemetery and the sight of it shocked Isabelle with a memory:
"Megan? Whatcha doing? Why are you holding your breath?" The 9 year old Isabelle asked in the car ride from gymnastics, which she had quit the next year. Megan pointed at the cemetery they were passing, and only spoke when they had passed it. "Mommy told me that I should hold my breath when we passed a cemetery. She says it ain't fair to breath when others can't". "well then I'll do it too". Isabelle said. "I don't want there to be a time where one of us is breathing and the other one isn't".
Isabelle's head started to spin and her eyes started to well up. She was in a cemetery and Megan wasn't breathing. Does that mean that she should hold her breath throughout the burial? Or just forget about what her 9 year old self said a long time ago. Her thoughts flew around her head like angry bees until it got to the point where she needed to sit down. Isabelle rubbed her eyes and stared at the sky where she knew Megan was watching. "I'm sorry, but I can't do it". Isabelle said. The only response Isabelle got was from the meadowlarks, chirping as if nothing was wrong.