Chapter 30 - Katherine

I was wrong.

I was so wrong!

How could I be so naive and think I could be happy? How could I believe for one second that my life will be peaceful?!

I lie on the bed and cry pathetically, not even bothering to hide the pain I feel right now. The cast on my arm feels heavy as it serves as a reminder of my stupidity.

How could everything go so wrong?

Few hours earlier

The whole clubhouse is buzzing with Christmas energy. All the guys have taken time off from work to spend time with either their families or the club. It was my first time having someone to spend Christmas with. My mother never cared about celebrating anything with me, whether it was Christmas, New Year or my birthday. She'd rather stuff her veins with coke than spend time with her daughter.

I'm putting up a big mirror in my and Killian's bathroom, having decided to surprise my man. I wonder what his reaction will be. I've been here for months and it's been bothering me ever since. It's not easy to get ready for work when I can't check how I look.

I hum happily as I skip around the bathroom, cleaning it to perfection. Then I head to our bedroom. I make up the bed, dust the shelves, organize the wardrobe, arrange the pillows and even light up some scented candles. Once the room is all clean, I go to the common room to make dinner for my man. He's been out since morning, doing god-knows-what, and I want to surprise him with some homemade food. He seemed a bit off today and I'm worried about him.

"Hey girl! What was that banging earlier?" Wolf laughs as he sits at the bar, watching me skip around the kitchen curiously. I only grin at him, feeling utterly proud with myself.

"I'm not telling you. It's a surprise for Killian."

"Oh boy." He chuckles.

"Stop being mean." I giggle at him as work on the food.

"Sorry. So why are you cooking all of a sudden? Usually it's Killer prancing around the kitchen." Wolf leans forward on the bar, putting his chin on his palm.

"Killian left somewhere early in the morning so I wanted to make him dinner." I shrug, but inside I'm feeling slightly worried. My Killy has been gone for the whole day and I have no idea where he is.

I catch Wolf's heavy sigh and glance at him questioningly. Does he know something?

"Do you know where he went?" I inquire, eager to know where my man is.

"Where he always is at this time of the year. – he says quietly – It's not my place to tell, sorry." Now that worries me. So there's something going on.

"Hey, don't look so down. He'll be back."

"I hope so." I let out a breath, focusing back on the dinner.

It takes me over an hour to prepare everything. Killian is still not back and I'm starting to get really worried. I don't want to be the clingy obsessive girlfriend that doesn't even let her man breathe, but I'm getting so close to hysteria it's not even funny.

Just when I'm about to call my man, he walks through the front door, heading straight to me with quick determined steps. He doesn't say a word, just picks me up and crushes me to his chest. I have no choice but to wrap my arms around his shoulders and my legs around his waist, holding onto him like a monkey. I can feel Killian tremble as he holds me, breathing heavily into my shoulder.