Chapter 13

The old ballroom in the Academy looked beautiful when they stepped through the doors. It was cleaned up, the dust was gone, the floors were swept, and the lounge couches in the dark part of the room were uncovered and nice. 

“How did this get so clean?” Phantom couldn’t help but ask. 

Gideon grinned, turning the lights on; it only cast a dim glow around the room that was pleasant and didn’t hurt her eyes. “I worked on it the night we yelled at each other. I didn’t sleep at all that night.” 

“I didn’t sleep well that night, then the next day I had an episode.” Phantom wished she didn’t remember their fight so clearly, it was kind of painful to think about. 

Gideon looked at his feet after closing the door. “I feel terrible for yelling at you, I shouldn’t have.” 

“You’re right about that but it's fine.” Phantom wasn’t comfortable with him apologizing, people didn’t do that to her, only Gideon had ever apologized to her. 

He caught her chin, meeting her eyes. “It’s not fine. I know people don’t apologize to you but it's not okay. I shouldn’t have yelled at you, I don’t do good with people standing up for me.”

“I can tell.” His thumb brushed over her lip gently. 

“Will you dance with me?” He asked softly, his cheeks still flushed. 

Phantom laced her fingers through his, “Sure, but we don’t have any music.” 

“We can make some.” His face was relaxed and his posture was slightly tense as he pulled her against him, humming lightly under his breath as his arms went around Phantom’s waist, pinning her to him. 

She put her arms loosely around his neck, running her hands through his soft thick hair, the silky strands tickling her knuckles and fingers. They swayed lightly, his arms moved her hips against his almost teasingly. “Why did you want to dance with me?” 

“Is it a crime to want to dance with you?” His voice was low and uneven, his hands were trembling slightly on her back.

Phantom chuckled softly as Gideon brushed his nose against her neck. “It might be, I’m just surprised you asked and apologized. You tend to not ask.” 

“Ah,” he brushed his lips against her throat. “Like this?” Gideon’s lashes brushed against her jaw as he pressed his mouth lightly against her pulse. 

Goosebumps raised along her arms. “Yeah, like that.” 

He pulled back, his lips curled in a sly smile. “Can I kiss you?” 

“Why would you want to do that?” Phantom looked up at him, a chill sweeping through her body at the naked look on his face. 

His pupil widened, the flush on his cheeks darkened. “Is it bad that I want to do that?” 

“It’s bad for everybody involved that you want to.” Phantom brushed her thumb across his jaw, grimacing as her black nails caught the light. “It's even worse that I want to too.” 

His eyes widened in surprise as she stood on her toes and slid her mouth across his, tasting the sweetness of him. Gideon’s hands fisted in the back of her shirt, pressing her harshly against his body. 

Phantom gasped against his mouth as he stood up straight, making her feet leave the ground. He was a good foot taller than she was and that didn’t stop him from lifting her off the ground. Phantom tightened her grip in his hair, trying not to hold onto him too hard. 

One of his hands slid under her shirt, his nails digging into her back, the pressure like fire against her skin. Gideon opened her mouth with his, his lips hard against hers.