Safe (Eret)

(Okay so I know y'all are begging for Strawberry Dress Eret, so that's gonna be it's own chapter in the future! This chapter was planned before I started writing it, and I didn't get to include the dress in this one, but trust me, it'll be in a future chapter. Thanks guys! Also this is a royal/medieval AU, which is pretty new, but I hope you all enjoy it.)

"I want to make sure you feel safe."

There was something magnetic about that night. I couldn't name exactly what made it like that, I could just feel it. There was always the fear that tagged along with the excitement though. Fear about what others would think of me, about having to waltz in front of distant family and friends, about the man I'd be dancing with, about how I secretly wanted to run far away.

This night had been tradition for years. My mother, her mother, and every woman as far back as I can remember did the same thing I was doing when they turned 18. Since we were "royalty" we had arranged marriages. It was to make peace with other kingdoms and grow our own. This night was the first impression I would have on my arranged suitor.

I had my opinions on the tradition. Although it brought my mother and father together and kept our kingdom strong, I didn't quite like the idea of having an arranged marriage. The idea of my life set out in front of me without any excitement of finding my own lover seemed so provincial.

I remember my mother used to tell me a story about how she was in love with another man the night she met my father. She told me that she wanted more than anything to get back her teenage years and fix the mistake she made of agreeing to the marriage. But she couldn't tell my father that, or anyone really. Except me, since I could somewhat relate to it.

The night itself was a masquerade ball. My entire family and the suitor's entire family would gather for a night of dancing, drinking, and talking. Then, me and the suitor would waltz in front of everyone. It would be our first interaction. As a little girl, I romanticized the idea of meeting a handsome prince and marrying him. Now that I was older and my mind was matured, I couldn't feel any form of love for what was to come.

I spent the weeks leading up to the ball trying to gather up the courage to speak out about my opinions on the night. When I tried speaking with my father, he simply told me the suitor I'd be with would be magnificent. A "true gentlemen" that would make a great king. So I kept my voice and thoughts quiet. I knew it was out of my power, so I brushed away the thought of not having to marry the suitor, and accepted my future. My bland, planned out future.

The gown I wore that night was my mother's. It was a light pink color, lined with white designs and pearls. I loved the dress, I always have. It made me feel so beautiful. My mother almost cried when she saw me in it. It was about three hours before the ball, and we sat on my bed, talking about the night to come.

As the guests were welcomed into our castle, I stood at my bedroom porch, watching, thinking. I tried as hard as I could to make myself feel some sort of love for the event, but however hard I tried, something just didn't feel right about the night.

"Princess?"

I looked behind me. A man in a suit stood there, I assumed he was an escort. He had curly brown hair, and a sweet face. I admired him already. He bowed, then said, "I'm here to escort you to the ball, if that's alright with you of course."

His voice was deep, but strangely comforting in a way. It made my stomach flutter. I nodded, then said, "Yes, thank you."

I linked my arm with his, and he walked me through the hallways of the castle towards the ballroom. "So, are you excited to meet your suitor?" The escort asked. "I suppose..." I said, a hint of dread in my voice. He looked at me. "Are you nervous?" He asked. I nodded, and he said, "Yeah, I'd be too."