Chapter 18--The Fall

Mark froze.

  "Shall we resume our game?" Nate asked.

  "Nate." Mark forced the word out, emitting a quiet, low syllable.

  "Hm?" Nate crossed his arms.

  "Nate. Please." Mark's speech continued to consist of limited words.

  Nate frowned. "Please what? 'Please stop letting your ego have power so that I don't have to die?' How selfish, Mark."

  Mark shook his head. "No, that's not true."

  "Claim whatever you want. It's all lies."

  "You have an opportunity, Nate. I want to--"

  "Shut up." Nate sighed. "Just shut up."

  "No. You're incredibly talented. I don't want someone like you wasted on such a vile lifestyle."

  Nate was silent. Then...

  "Let me speak to him!" Nate shuddered suddenly, shouting at the air. He stopped, blinking.

  "Nate?"

  "Mark." Nate straightened. "It's me."

  "Oh!"

  Nate sighed again. "Let's walk."

  They entered the elevator and chose the sixth deck.

  "Have you thought about it?" Mark asked.

  "I have." Nate leaned against the elevator wall, adjusting his shirt cuffs. "It seems too fantastical. I don't feel deserving."

  "I think you are. You're just a man in unfortunate circumstances. There's no reason this opportunity should be denied to you."

  "It's hard to think that. After all, I did decide to pursue a job in assassination, along with submitting to my ego. I'm not completely innocent."

  "I'm not saying that. Sure, you're partially to blame, but your ego is definitely the largest villain here."

  The elevator stopped on the eighth deck and allowed four more passengers to enter. The doors shut.

  "Anyway, I'm one of the few people on this planet that understands egos and how they affect you." Mark spoke quieter. "Hardly anyone else will be able to grasp your situation."

  "You're right." Nate crossed his arms. "It's just insanely difficult, especially after all this time. He's been in power for so long..."

  "You're making progress, though. This is the third time you've shown up."

  "I just hope I have the endurance to keep it up. It's not simple."

  It truly isn't.

  The elevator stopped on the sixth deck. Mark and Nate excused themselves and stepped out of the elevator.

  "So, is that a yes? Are you willing to commit?" Mark asked hopefully.

  Nate contemplated for a few moments as they walked silently to the casino.

  "Sure." Nate said simply.

  "Really?"

  "Yeah. Just...as long as you don't give up on me." Nate seemed to speak from past experience.

  "Of course I won't." Mark promised.

  They entered the casino. The atmosphere changed drastically, with smoke filling the room and early risers hitting the slot machines. Mark and Nate passed by the machines and tables.