Chapter 1: school dances are torture

A/N: This is a self-indulgent todoshin/shintodo high school au. I'm not sure how long it will be yet but it will be at least a few chapters. All you gotta know about this au is that there are no quirks and shinsou is officially Aizawas and Mics adopted son. They are both teachers at UA high and shinsou is a new student who is very intrigued by a certain mysterious and moody candy cane. As for Todoroki, even without quirks, Endeavor is still an ass and Todoroki has a terrible relationship with his father. It's not quite as bad as canon but his father is still flaming garbage. The biggest difference in this au is that Shouto always went to school and met Midoriya from a young age. They are childhood friends and best friends. He doesn't really get along with anyone else though and is known as the class loner.

The main ships in this are todoshin and izuocha. Tododeku is platonic but you can argue that Todoroki has had a crush on Izuku in the past and they are very important to each other. If you have any questions about the au feel free to ask! I love questions, feedback, and comments. Enjoy <3

~ ~ ~

School dances are a form of torture— a slow, visceral torture even worse than Mr. Yamada's English class.

The stench of sweat, cheap perfume and axe body spray permeates the air and Shouto has to breathe into his hand to prevent himself from puking. Holding his breath, he retreats to the highest and furthest corner of the bleachers. Unfortunately, it provides little relief.

It's not a secret that Shouto is known as the class loner. He prefers to observe his classmates from a distance rather than socialize, avoiding crowds at all costs. In fact, the only reason he's even here tonight is because Midoriya dragged his sorry ass by bribing him with free soba for a week, insisting he'd have a good time.

But...

What exactly is Shouto supposed to find enjoyable about a claustrophobic gymnasium packed with awkward teenagers and miserable chaperones? Not to mention the blaring music and shrill cries from the group of girls huddled together on the dance floor, screaming about how every other song played is "their song".

Shouto will never understand girls. Or pretty much anyone if he's honest. Sometimes, he questions his taste in friends. More accurately friend. He's been best friends with Midoriya since childhood. While he couldn't ask for a more loyal friend, they're so different that Shouto wonders why Midoriya hasn't dropped him yet. He definitely has better options.

Unlike Shouto, Midoriya is charming and funny. He's easy to talk to with his bright eyes and soft smiles, instinctively knowing how to make others feel at ease. Everyone in school, except for Bakugou (who's an ass and doesn't count) likes Midoriya. The last time Shouto tried to smile, Mr. Cementos asked if he needed to see the school nurse. He hasn't attempted any more smiles since, no matter how much soba Midoriya offers.

Perhaps he isn't made to fit in or relate to other people. As long as people leave him alone, Shouto finds he doesn't mind. Drawing attention to himself has never been one of his goals anyway. Thanks to his shitty father, he learned from a young age that attention only brings pain.

Shouto checks his phone and frowns. How the hell has only 30 minutes passed since Midoriya pushed him into the gymnasium? He lets out a resigned sigh. Why did he ever agree to let Midoriya drive in the first place?

~ ~ ~

"Are you in love with him?"

"Excuse me?"

"Are you in love with him?" a boy with deep purple hair, whose name Shouto never remembers repeats. He gestures toward Midoriya on the dance floor and arches a thick eyebrow.

Shouto turns around and blinks at the strange boy sitting next to him. It's the new kid with the ridiculous hair (yes, more ridiculous than Shouto's). They share a couple of classes but Shouto doesn't think they've ever spoken. At some point during Shouto's brooding session, he must have snuck his way into his hiding spot. That's unacceptable. This is Shouto's spot and this new kid is too close for comfort. He stretches his long legs close enough to brush against Shouto's thigh. Who does this guy think he is?

"What do you want?" Shouto asks suspiciously, narrowing his eyes at the intruder.

"Just making conversation," the new kid defends in a bored tone. He backs away slightly and waves a dismissive hand in the air. "I'm curious, too. You're watching Midoriya so intently. I can't figure out if you're pining after him? His girl? Or just constipated..."

"Listen here New Kid...if you're looking for a fight--"

The new kid quirks his lips into a smirk. "It's Shinsou. And I'm not looking for a fight. Only answers."

Shouto takes a shaky breath. He's not sure what this guy's deal is, but he reminds himself that Shinsou is Mr. Aizawa and Mr. Yamada's son. Picking a fight with him will only end in disaster. The last thing Shouto needs are more issues with his father. "Midoriya is my friend," he responds carefully.

Avoiding eye contact, he focuses on Midoriya instead. His best friend beams proudly in his hideous maroon suit as he turns Uraraka around in a clumsy spin. They're both pink-cheeked and laughing, staring at each other like no one else in the world exists. It surprises Shouto how much it hurts to watch, a dull ache flickering in his chest. "He's crazy about Uraraka if you can't tell."

Shinsou scoffs. "His loss."

"What?" The abrupt response catches Shouto off guard. He snaps his eyes toward Shinsou and gapes at him. His mouth hangs open in a less than attractive fashion as he meets amused heavy-lidded eyes.

"Come on, don't tell me you're surprised, pretty boy." Shinsou offers another smirk, crossing his arms in front of his chest. "Uraraka seems like a nice girl. Cute too. But..." He takes an appreciative glance at Shouto, looking him up and down, eyes lingering on his mouth. "There's no comparison."

Shouto sputters, begins to choke on his own saliva oh-so elegantly. Somehow, Shinsou discomposed him again. After years of living with his father, it's rare that anyone or anything gets to him. Yet, this guy has managed it twice. Shinsou doesn't say much in their classes, but the few times he's spoken, Shouto was reluctantly impressed with his snarky attitude and savage callout of their dumb classmates. A part of him hopes that Shinsou is sincere and this isn't his twisted idea of a joke. He has to be sure though.

"If someone put you up to this, you'll regret it," Shouto deadpans, voice colder than ice. The threat hangs between them as Shouto glares intently.

Shinsou is no help at all, responding with a smug grin. He's all cool and composed, completely unperturbed by Shouto's intensity. "Why would I do that?" He shakes his head and chuckles, but Shouto refuses to back down. "You do know one of my dads is Aizawa, right? That glare has nothing on him. I could do this all day."

"Whatever," Shouto huffs, a little too petulant. He despises losing and is beyond done with this conversation and evening. Scowling, he stands from the bleachers until a cold hand grabs his arm.

"Wait, I'm sorry."

Shouto rolls his eyes. What is this idiot even apologizing for? "Fine. Now let me go."

Shinsou doesn't remove his arm. He tilts his head and blinks. "No," he says, a little bit desperate. "Take me with you."

"Do you have a car?" The words spill out of Shouto's mouth before he can stop himself. He's about to take them back and go hide in the bathroom for the rest of the evening when a cat-shaped metal keychain is dangled in front of his nose.

"Define have..." Shinsou furrows his forehead and purses his lips. "The car doesn't have to be mine, right?"

Shouto fights back a smile. He knows if he accepts this offer there's no turning back. "Can't be worse than this shit show." He shrugs. "Let's get out of here."

Note: More coming soon! Let me know what you think thanks ❤️🤍💜