Chapter 1

-Third Person POV-

Ever since a day earlier that March in the secluded world of the Vocaloids, if you looked hard enough, you would feel the excited buzz humming throughout the streets. For on that day, the Masters of all the different groups in Vocaloid-such as Crypton, PowerFX, AH Software and Internet Co.-had announced the coming VOCALOID3 and VOCALOID4 updates. Every so often, an upgrade like this would happen, and all upgraded Vocaloids would be taken to a new, improved world, better suited to their new abilities. So everyone was looking forward to the next year, when these improvements would take place.

“But,” I hear you ask, “what happens to the ones who aren’t upgraded?”

That is something that had been somewhat glossed over in the speech.

The unlucky Vocaloids who were deemed too unpopular or difficult were left in the old, empty world of VOCALOID2 to rot.

-Len POV-

I was walking down the road to the grocers (to buy bananas obviously) when I heard a shout behind me. “Hey! Len! Wait for me!” I stopped, looking over my shoulder to see Gumi running after me. “Are you going to the grocers? Because I need to buy carrots there, so we could walk there together if you want,” she asked, smiling brightly. Gumi was my best friend, a cheerful, clumsy, carrot lover.

“Yeah, sure. So, what’s new?” I said, resuming my walk with her beside me. “Oh, nothing much. Lily and Cul were arguing-again. Me, Gakupo and Ryuto had to hide in the basement.”

I laughed. “Poor you… Nothing happened at Crypton, except I found Kaito making out with an ice-cream cone in his room. Meiko heard me laughing and saw too… Needless to say, she wasn’t pleased; because she’s his girlfriend and all, she doesn’t want him snogging anything except her.”

Gumi snorted. “She should know that his love of ice-cream comes before any love he has for her.”

“Maybe you should tell her that…”

The green haired girl paled. “No thanks! She would kill me!”

“Exactly.” We turned the corner and walked into the grocers.

After about half an hour of buying every single banana and carrot they had, we left, walking home slowly, laden with straining plastic bags. “I don’t think I can carry all this home right now,” groaned Gumi.  “Me neither,” I panted, struggling to lift my three bags off the pavement.

“Look, let’s go sit in the park for a few minutes, then we can go home,” she suggested, gesturing to a small grassy area scattered with benches. I nodded gladly at the prospect of a rest, and we staggered across the road, into the park, and collapsed on a bench.

Trying to get my breath back, I flopped back against the hard wooden slats of the seat, looking around the overgrown square of grass. We seemed to be the only people there, all the other benches unoccupied-wait… On the farthest bench from us, right in the corner of the park, sat someone-I couldn’t tell who from this distance- with his or her head on their knees. I nudged Gumi, who looked over at me quizzically, a carrot in her mouth. “Yeah? What?”

“Look over there. Who’s that?”

She squinted over at the figure. “Hmmmm… I don’t know them, I think. None of the others have white hair like that. Maybe they’re new...”

“Yeah, I don’t think I’ve seen them before either,” I agreed, grabbing one of my bananas and cramming it into my mouth.

“Len… Please shut your mouth when you’re eating those,” winced Gumi.