Chapter 5

-Len POV-

The next morning, I woke up to the lovely sound of Meiko screaming my name up the stairs.

"LEN KAGAMINE! MASTER IS ON THE PHONE FOR YOU!"

The words sent a nasty chill through my bones, despite the thick blankets. I knew with a sickening certainty what Crypton had to say. He would tell me exactly what I had been trying to ignore: the fact that I was getting a V3 update. And what's so bad about that?, I hear you ask.

Piko. That's what's so bad about it. Piko wouldn't get one.
I knew there was no point in trying to hide from the truth; so, with my heart thudding treacherously in my chest, I walked down the stairs to where Meiko was waiting, phone in hand. She smiled at me as she handed it to me - not a smile of joy, but one of sympathy. She, like pretty much everyone else, knew what was going to happen.

"Len?" the scratchy voice asked from the phone. Meiko squeezed my hand once more, then left the room, closing the door softly behind her.
"Yes," I replied, mouth going dry. "What is it, Master?"
"As you have probably guessed, it's time for your new V3 update. I hope you're excited for it!" Here he paused, as if he was hoping for me to express joy at this announcement. When I said nothing, he continued. "You realise that this is a huge privilege, given only to the Vocaloids who have managed to be successful enough in the human world. I congratulate you on your hard work. You have one week until your update."
With that, the phone went dead.
One week.
One week, seven days and one hundred and sixty-eight hours.
One week until I would never be able to see Piko again.