🏇4🏇

"All you did was twist it," the doctor said. "Nothing appears to be broken, so that's a positive. I already pulled it back into place."

"Good grief. You scared me," Amara laughed. I shrugged.

"If it's not broken, then I can still ride-"

"Forget it. You need to focus on healing for now. You need to be in top form for the camp this weekend." Our brown orbs locked. She leaned against the doorfram, looking in. I narrowed my eyes at her, gritting my teeth.

"So now you care."

"Just take it easy. You'll be up and riding in no time with your body."

"How considerate. You up and left without a word or a trace, so why do you now waltz in and try to talk some sense into me?" I stood, not feeling the pain in my time of anger. It also helped that Doctor Carvar gave me pain relievers to ease the pain while he took the tests. I stalked towards Abi.

"I know. There's nothing I can do or say that can fix the past. I'm close by now, though. I can protect you now because I was too weak to do it then."

"I lost you the day you walked out that door. You can never fix what you broke."

"I'm sorry, Sam," she whispered. "I wish I'd talked to you. But you would have been dragged into my mess. I couldn't let that happen if I could avoid it."

"That's what I'm for," I responded, pausing behind her. "You should have trusted me and depended on me."

"I wouldn't change anything. I will protect you from my cruel world."

I glanced over my shoulder with bored eyes, yet my heart broke inside. Abi was tense. Really tense. She was just as broken as I was. In the end, it really doesn't matter who hurt who. We're just another broken up couple in the population of over 7 billion.

"Protect that confidence," I said. "High school can break that." I looked away as soon as she turned to face me, and I walked away from the room.

After getting lost countless times, I finally made it out of the infirmary. My horse was waiting, and as I got closer, he lowered his head into my raised hands. I stroked his muzzle and gently rubbed his nose. Most horses loved their noses being rubbed. Once again, he gave me horse kisses for the second time today. I chuckled.

"How about we go find you a nice saddle? Sound good?" He neighed in agreement. If he had more stallion, he would have ran off in an instant at the sentence. I placed my hand on his neck, guiding him away from the building where I left Abi. How ironic. She left me in middle school, and I'm leaving her in high school. But I won't vanish into thin air like her.

I stopped in the aqua blue stables, my homeroom stables, and grabbed a bridle. He didn't look too thrilled to see them. I slipped it on his nose, and he didn't pull or jerk away, which surprised me for some reason. It must have been his expression that threw me off. He didn't look happy about putting it on, but he let me put it on anyways.

"Good, boy," I praised. He snorted at me in response. I, in return, laughed at his reaction. "Now let's go find that saddle I promised." Clipping on the reins to the bridle, I clicked my tongue and walked with him as I held the reins in my right hand.

🐎   🐎   🐎   🐎   🐎

The saddle was leather with with a stich-like design. A firm, brown leather. The saddle pad was a lighter blue coloring. I got a dark wooden brush for the hair on his body and a blue, plastic mane brush.

His saddle bags were mainly the same pattern as his saddle apart from the black feather design that had diamonds running down the middle of the feathers. His bridle and reins were pure black.

I placed his saddle pad on his back, making sure it was even before putting on the saddle

I placed his saddle pad on his back, making sure it was even before putting on the saddle. I tightened the straps on the bottom. I patted his neck, praising him for his cooperation. I threw the saddle bags over, behind his saddle. I clipped both sides with a D-ring.

I glanced up when I heard footsteps against the rough, sandy, dirt. Horse steps clicked against the stoned sidewalk. William Kylo. And his horse: Chief. Chief was a grey horse with a black mane and tail. His grey body had a marble look to it. His dark eyes were focused as his partner guided him along.

A boy with dark roots and dyed blond hair walked beside him. His horse had a beautiful solid grey coat with a midnight black mane and tail. Dallas apparently didn't appreciate being ignored while I gazed upon the unknown horse. He bent his head, nudging my cheek.

"Okay, Dallas. Okay. I get the point," I sighed, looking up at the brown beauty. I smiled as I stroked his muzzle. I hooked my foot in the saddle hopping on my toe a few times before locking my leg and swinging my other leg over his back. I settled down on his back. I pet his neck. "Come on. We can go for a ride."

He cried out happily. As he turned to go, I could've sworn he was sizing the other two halted horses up, giving them a glare and a silent warning. I glanced over my shoulder at the two men who seemed slightly surprised at the interaction. That means I was right. He did give them that silent warning.

I looked towards the open planes, clicking my tongue twice. Dallas got an order, and he sprinted, obeying. My hair flew behind me. It wasn't necessarily windy, but he was a flying bullet when he ran. I only had jeans and a hoodie on with my riding boots. I never even got a helmet fitting.

Oh well. It felt nice to feel the wind again and have the freedom ring in my ears.