Chapter 14

Logan

It's Christmas Eve and Nicole is sitting in the passenger seat as I drive us to my parents' house. It feels like a dream to me. Nicole, my Nicole, is coming with me. The past week since she got home from Montreal has been like a dream to me. We decorated the house and went Christmas shopping. It felt like one of those Hallmark movies that Farah used to make me watch. Everything romantically stereotypical, we did it. Although when at home it usually went to the x-rated version. I found that I love being married to Nicole.

Except I wasn't. And for the first time in my dating life, I wasn't being honest. Nicole isn't my wife but she's under the impression that she is. I had wanted to tell her that first night when she got back from Montreal but I chickened out. So many things ran through my head the moment I saw her, telling her about my discussion with Roman didn't feel like a high priority at the moment.  Although if I'm going to be completely honest with myself, I didn't have the courage. I have a strange notion that it will change something between us and I want to hold on to this magic between us for a little longer. In my gut I know this is not the right thing to do. I need to tell her. But I'm terrified to lose her.

We are wearing our matching green and white outfits as per my mother's request. Nicole has been coming to our family gatherings since Arden and Deacon got married so it won't be a surprise that's she's there. It might be a bit of a shock that she is there with me if Arden and my dad haven't told everyone yet.

My mother greets us at the door. She hugs and kisses Nicole then me.

"There is my handsome lad," she says with a smile.

No sooner do we have our coats off, Bunny is screaming in delight, running full speed down the hallway.

"My Coley!" she yells jumping right into Nicole's outstretched arms. Bunny inherited me and my brother's curly hair. She wears it wild; giant curls bouncing as she runs. Nicole kisses her all over her face.

"How is my baby Bunny?" she coos.

"Christmas tree!" Bunny says excitedly pointing into the living room. Mom scaled down party numbers. It's just me, my brothers, their wives and the kids. My grandmother had cataract surgery and decided to stay home to recover. I hug my brother Brandon who has one of the babies in his arms. It looks to be one of the twins.

"Lizzy" he reminds me as I kiss her head. As I follow Nicole and Bunny I greet my dad who is holding Lacey. In just three short years, our family went from zero babies to babies everywhere. All girls no less. Arden stands up and gives me a hug.

"Be good to her," she whispers in my ear.

"Every single time," I whisper back to which she pinches my arm.

I then greet my other sister-in-law Jamie, a tall willowy redhead. My brother Henry is absolutely smitten with his new bride. Henry is the only one of use to have the luck of the devil when it comes to women. His wife dropped into his backyard, literally. She had a helluva rough life before she met my brother. She witnessed a murder and got kidnapped to boot. When she escaped, she collapsed in Henry's backyard.

The rest is history. 

"Where is Gracie?" I ask her after hugging her. She smiles at me, pointing across the room. Henry is cradling his daughter showing her the lights on the Christmas tree. My niece Grace is the same age as the twins, about 5 months old. She is the chubbiest redheaded baby I have ever seen.

"Henry," I call out as I approach. He turns, his daughter in his arms, wide eyed at all the lights and excitement going on around her. She was named after my older sister, who died before I was born. And judging from the pictures, the resemblance is uncanny. Grace is the calmest baby out of all the girls. She blinks those big blue eyes of hers at me and gives me a toothless smile.