Before: At night

Here is that story I've been meaning to set up and stuff. I want to clear up any confusion I have with myself about these characters because of how fast they can change within text. Also, I change my mind quickly and I need to show change throughout their lives. Hisuki is the older twin of the two and Najiko is the younger twini of the two. Enjoy the story and hope that you comment and vote! ^_^

*No POV*

A platinum blonde walked around the yard for the umpteenth time that evening. She let out a sigh and sat on the nearest spot to her, which in this case is a patch of damp grass. She was wearing trousers and a loose t-shirt because she disliked nightgowns unlike her sister. She brush a few loose strands away from her face and tucked it behind her ear.

Her hair reached her chin and it was choppily done; the reason being it was cut by her own hand and scissors. Her shirt was full of dirt from earlier in the day. She had also cut the sleeves, which resulted in her scissor privilege being taken away. She was bruised and had minor cuts on her hands and arms because she got punished for pushing a kid of a high place, very hard. She liked to think that the kid deserved it for bullying her sister; yet, the orphanage caretakers thought she deserved what she got for getting revenge on the other kid.

As the girl went over the events of her day, she looked at her feet as she wiggled her toes a bit to keep them warm. She was barefoot and the girl didn’t mind. She had given her shoes to her sister because she had outgrown them anyways. She decided that she didn’t need shoes and that she was used to walking around barefoot, even in the winter. Although, she didn’t mind being selfish every once in a while when it came to sweets.

Sweets… her mouth watered at the thoughts of the candy they give her every chance the place gets. Sweets were practically all that she ate in the place. The adults supervising the kids were surprised she hadn’t died from starvation yet. In fact, she was surprised herself that she hadn’t left the world yet, but she did develop anorexia from hardly eating. It didn’t matter was they gave her, she would give it to her sister, who concerned her more than her own health.

Her sister was her only blood family and her identical twin. She made sure that her sister got her spare coat; that her sister had extra shoes or new shoes; that her sister ate and didn’t get sick. The list goes on and on, she was more of a mother than a sister. She risked everything for her and in return, her sister stayed by her side when she fell ill or had to stay inside because the blonde didn’t wear proper clothing to go play in the snow and/or rain.

She took care of her sister and her sister secretly took care of her. The input and output was balanced, but she started noticing that her sister was growing and becoming more social. She went out to play in the snow and rain more often than she stayed and she ate with other people at lunch. The girl felt a little lonely, but kept giving to her sister, thinking it would solve it.

Which led her to where she was right now, out in the middle of her “school yard” in between the snow. She sighed and out came a puff of smoke from the heat of her breath. She seemed more active during the night though, she usually came outside to clear out her thoughts. She got up from her spot and decided to go “outside”.

To all the children living in the orphanage, “outside” was anywhere that the orphanage didn’t own or where the woods started. The youth decided to go into the woods for a hike towards the peak. It was near Christmas and the town a few miles away seemed about ready for the actual date to arrive. It was brightly lit that it could be seen from the peak of the orphanage’s mountain.

The youth seemed to understand where to go; she always admired the lights from up above. She began heading for the woods until- “Hisuki? What are you doing up? You’re supposed to be sleeping right now.” said another girl that looked like Hisuki, but with bright blue-green eyes and dark blue hair. Hisuki’s eyes widened at the sight, her twin sister was standing at the back door entrance way. Her sister’s arms were crossed and her body language read, ‘what are you doing up young lady? You should be asleep where I left you.’

“Ah, err, Najiko, I can explain why I’m up and not asleep next to you. It’s because I can’t sleep as much as I did before; I don’t know how much longer I can stay by your side if I keep this up. Therefore, I think I’ll take a walk down the woods, but you better not follow me. Just go back to sleep like I left you.” Hisuki hissed towards her sister.

Now it was Najiko’s turn to get nervous, “What does it- What do you mean you don’t think you’ll be with me much longer?” Najiko stepped closer, ”I don’t want to leave you, so I don’t think that I will go to sleep. At least not without you of course, come on, you need rest because you look way older than you are and you’re nine.”

She reached out for Hisuki as she turned, but felt nothing. She turned and saw that she tried to grasp the air before and her sister was long gone. A figure could be seen faintly as it retreated into the forest deeper and deeper. “Hisu-”

“Najiko? What are you doing?! It’s cold outside, come back inside.” Said a caretaker from that currently took housing in the orphanage. “But-” Najiko tried to get out of the caretaker’s grasp to follow her sister into the woods. The caretaker saw that Najiko wanted to go into the woods, but got her and slung her over her shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

“Wait! My sister, she’s not with me! I want my sister because I won’t be able to sleep without her, please go get my sister! I want my sister!” Najiko yelled throughout the halls managing to wake up the children in the other rooms. Najiko tried kicking, punching and other childish tactics that usually worked for other children. The more time they spent arguing and struggling, the more time that it would take to find Hisuki in the woods.

Najiko was reduced to a crying mess as they got to her assigned room. “There, there, your sister is just asleep over there and you can join her in the deep sleep she seems to be in after your ruckus earlier.” Najiko turned to run out of the room and the young girl was blocked access from going outside. “But she’s not here! You want to see why I’m right?!” she said between tears and shallow breaths.

Najiko ran to her sister’s bed and uncovered that there was nothing on the other side. “See?! See?!” she ran towards her bed this time. “No one is in here. You stopped me from going after my sister! You are the worst, she told me she wasn’t going to be here anymore and you stopped me!! Just leave me alone! I don’t want to see anyone right now! Leave!!”

The blunette sat down on her sister’s bed before curling up and letting her tears out before she exploded at anyone else. The door was closed after a while and Najiko wrapped herself in her sister’s covers and covered everything but her eyes. She’s thought about the times where Hisuki protected her, when she played with Hisuki and the memories she made with her twin came flooding back, bringing back a few tears to her eyes.

For years, the younger twin has tried to protect the older one, only to have the outcome the same as always, Older always protects the younger. Najiko howled out a shriek that had hidden words within. ‘Where ever you are, Hisuki, please don’t leave me out here by myself. I want to protect you in return, please, just let it be once!’

As that twin cried out in agony, the other sat on top of a tree overlooking the city and all its lights. She leaned on the trunk to rest her eyes and try to sleep. She was rewarded as nothing but darkness filled her mind. The night went on as if nothing had happened on its watch and night turned to morning.

As the morning sun touched and warmed anything it reached, there was a body lying on the floor that not even the morning sun could warm.