eighteen

**

I instinctively tightened my grip on Bradley's hand as we approached the familiar cafe.

It was a quaint cafe tucked down one of the many lonely streets of Birmingham.

The bricks were smothered in pristine white paint, the mint green door glistening in the centre. Well groomed bushes grew beside the windows, delicate white roses woven amongst the leaves. It had that homely, old fashioned feel; from it's spotty table cloths, to the mismatched teacups and the rustic sign above the door, that was always squeaking in the slightest wind.

By chance I had found it whilst taking a different route home and almost immediately checked it off as one if my favourite places.

Being still in school at the time I discovered it, I decided to introduce it to my friends and it became one of our favourite hang outs. The place you and your friends label as 'the spot', where no clarification is needed to know where everyone plans to meet.

I hadn't visited since I finished school, in worry that I'd bump into a certain someone.

"They do the best milkshakes." I eagerly pushed open the door.

"You owe me a fiver if they turn out to be disgusting." Bradley smirked, his eyes wandering around the interior. "I like it in here."

I beamed at Brad's approval as I scanned the room for Maddie, noticing my smiling blonde friend occupying the small table in the corner.

"Over here." I pulled Brad in the direction.

At near distance I noticed her blue eyes widen at the sight of Brad and then soon flicker towards mine and his intwined hands, instantly untangling myself from his grasp at the reminder.

"Lill!" Maddie's voice squeaked as she jumped up from her chair. "I've missed you!"

"You too." I mumbled into her bone crushing grasp.

She finally released her arms, shifting from foot to foot as she smiled nervously towards Brad.

"Oh, I'm Brad Lilly's-" he averted his eyes to me. "Friend."

"Hiya, I'm Maddie, also Lilly's friend." she grinned from ear to ear, raising her hand.

Bradley eyed her hand in confusion, warily shaking it in greeting.

"Sorry was that weird?" she snatched her hand away with a nervous giggle. "I never know how to greet new people."

"No it's fine, don't worry ab-"

"I'll go order our milkshakes!" she clasped her hands together, before skipping off towards the counter.

I chuckled as I noticed Brad still stood in the spot Maddie left him, a bewildered expression spread across his face.

"She's very, uh, hyperactive." he raised his eyebrows, pulling a chair next to mine.

"Yeah, you get used to to it." I shook my head with a snigger.

"I got us all strawberry!" Maddie exclaimed, planting 3 pink milkshakes before us. "Extra sprinkles!"

"It's been so long my love." I seized the cup, slurping up the liquid and sighing with pleasure.

Brad rolled his eyes at me, grabbing ahold of my hand from under the table.

"So," Maddie edged her chair closer to the table, cradling her head on her hands. "Are you at uni Brad?"

"Well at the moment, I'm trying to save up for university fee's to study music." Brad replied.

"Oh right, are you into music then?" Maddie seemed to come more intrigued.

"Yeah I'm in a band actually-"

"Like a boyband?" she interrupted keenly.

"Not exactly, more just a 'band'." he chuckled.

"Oh," her enthusiasm seemed to fade at the thought of Brad's band not being some kind of one direction she could obsess over. "What about you Lill? Where have you been hibernating?"

"Well as you know my travelling dream didn't really work out, so I've just been you know, chilling with people." I shrugged, trying to remain expressionless as Brad traced patterns on my thigh.

"Chilling?" Maddie raised her eyebrows questionably. "Is Poppy back?"

"Unfortunately not, I met some idiots that I found out were 'chill' worthy." I teased, glancing at Brad from the corner of my eye.

"Chill worthy?" Brad scoffed. "This is my cue to go to the toilet."

I watched Brad as he scampered to the toilets, glancing back at me with a smirk.

"So friends eh?" Maddie snapped me from my trance.

"Yeah." I mumbled, twirling my straw around as a distraction.

"Lill, he misses you."

I gulped wretchedly at the sheer mention, knowing exactly who she was referring to.

"You never answer his calls, reply to texts, he even tried coming into Phil's to see if you were on your shift a few times." she continued.

"Are you some sort of messenger for him?" I snapped, anger suddenly rising. "Since when did you start defending him?"

"I'm not defending him, I just think he deserves the chance to apologise." she hushed, widening her eyes to indicate the audience of people in the cafe.

"I was done with giving him chances a while ago!" I scoffed. "He humiliated me in front of the whole school by filling everyone in that he'd won a bet by taking my virginity, cheated on me, threatened my friends, I could go on."

"I know but-" Maddie began.

"I don't want to speak to, or even of him, I just want to forget and I'm on the road to doing so." I jumped up from my seat, quickly tugging my jacket onto my arms. "Make sure you report that back to him."

"Is everything ok?" Bradley fleeted over to my side, his hand grasping my arm worriedly.

"Everything's fine, we just should go." I spun hurriedly on my heels to leave.

I collided with a muscular figure in my hurry. A recognise cologne lingering my senses almost instantly, the same penetrating blue orbs staring down at me.

"Sorry I'm late." Luke smirked.

**
A/N

plot twist plot twist plot twist

if all you are like excuse me who is this Luke, it's Lilly's ex from high school ((I mentioned him early on in the book, when I was on about Lilly's anti relationship reasons))

thanks to all of you who have been voting recently it means alot

xo