A real nightmare

Standing across from Connor, Ava stared at him, breathing hard. After bickering during the operation, they needed to talk it out. Both had their own grievances, which swelled to the limit, starting to interfere with the work.

"Why don't you want to believe me?" Ava screamed, biting her lip until it hurt, trying to hide the trembling in her entire body. "I didn't sleep with your father!"

"What difference does it make now?" Connor said indifferently, pinching the bridge of his nose.

It had been almost three months since he had broken up with Ava, throwing a cruel accusation in her face. It just seemed like an eternity. To work side by side, to see a man who was dear, whom he seemed to love, was unbearable for Rhodes. If asked if he had feelings for Ava Bekker, he would have answered without hesitation and clearly: "Yes". Only the pain, the resentment that had come from her actions with his father, covered everything.

"Connor, it can't end like this" Ava stammered, her eyes dropping to the floor, her heart pounding. "I still have feelings for you, even after you pinned sex with your father on me that didn't happen".

"How so? It's all over now, Ava" Connor said in a monotone, suddenly tired. And he couldn't see the tears that were already streaming down her cheeks when she broke eye contact with him. "Let's remain colleagues, as it was from the very beginning".

"Is it because of Robin?" Bekker said with distaste, wiping her eyes shyly. 

Ava had seen Connor with Robin many times, and they had looked happy while she was dying inside. It was as if she had become invisible.

"Ava, don't" Connor said, considering the question inappropriate. He and Robin had long since separated, remaining on the level of good friends, but there was no desire to explain this to ava, and why.

"Is it just because of your father?" Bekker asked desperately, clenching her fists and digging her nails into her skin, but still unable to hide the way she was shaking.

Connor couldn't bear to see Ava like this. He wanted to take a step toward her, hold her tight, so that she would calm down, so that she would smile. Only now did he realize that he had not seen her smile in all these months, which, as it turned out, he had become used to.

"Tell me, if it wasn't for your father, would everything have been all right?" When she didn't wait for an answer to the last question, the woman asked the next one, looking up at Connor again, but looking empty through him.

"You shouldn't have gone behind my back" Connor reminded her grimly, lost in Ava's lies.

"And I'm sorry, Connor" Ava whispered, her shoulders slumping visibly. "But I didn't betray you".

"I don't know that" Connor interrupted, heading for the door, feeling that he was making a mistake, doing something wrong, but still moving toward the exit. If only he had looked into ava's dead eyes at That moment, he would not have left.

Ava grabbed the scalpel and held it firmly in her hand. Everything seemed to clear up at once. At this moment, she saw no other solution that would save her from the aching pain of seeing Connor happy, standing too often with Robin, when he skilfully avoided her by addressing her too formally while working. Connor didn't believe her. Connor had left her, cut her out of his life.

When Connor turned to look at her, he froze when he caught sight of the sharp object in her hand. With an involuntary effort, he finally noticed the woman's pale face. He had never seen Ava so broken, so depressed.

"Ava?"  Connor called softly.

"You" Ava said hoarsely as she approached Rhodes. "You're ungrateful prick".

Abruptly, Ava raised her hand and plunged the scalpel into her throat, thinking on the verge that the pain was nothing compared to the one she'd felt trying to get Connor Rhodes back. It was easier, one move, and that was it. How easy it is to get rid of all the suffering.

"Ava, no!"  Connor yelled, knocking the scalpel out of his hands, grabbing Ava, holding the wound in her neck tight. "Help! I need help!"

The last thing Ava saw was a gray ceiling, or maybe a white one, but it didn't matter. Everything faded completely. 

х

Eyes wide, Connor sat up abruptly in the bed, almost gasping for breath. He was sweating, and his body was failing. A second, then another, and Connor's eyes narrowed as he glanced around the room, aware that he was in the bedroom. Then there was the moment when Ava had cut her throat again, slumping in his arms, losing blood too quickly, losing her pale complexion, becoming transparent. Too real.

With a shake of his head, Connor forced himself to turn his head very slowly,seeing the woman clearly and without any illusions. Reaching out, he gently touched the visible scar on her neck, tracing it almost weightlessly, swallowing hard. The first months were spent on Ava's rehabilitation, which took place in Connor's constant presence. It took a lot of effort for Ava to come to her senses and start smiling, as she had on the day they met and in the moments that followed when they were a couple.

And now, two years later, everything is back to normal.

"Connor?" Ava whispered sleepily as his trembling fingers lingered too long on her neck. "Are you okay?"

Connor leaned over and kissed her, moving closer to hold her tight. He managed to push the nightmare from the past away, steadying his panting breath. The scary images faded as Connor touched a loved one who was still alive.

"Dear, I'm fine" Ava assured him softly, her lips brushing his shoulder as she looked into his eyes. 

"I know, Avey" Connor said with a small nod, holding her in his arms, exhaling.

With a reassuring smile, Ava snuggled closer to Connor, tangling her legs with his. Usually in this position, Connor found it easier to accept reality, falling asleep faster.

"I won't stop telling you how much I love you" Connor said, feeling her care as he took her hand in his, interlacing his fingers, relaxing from the faint chill of her wedding ring. One thing he realized was that it was better to admit feelings out loud than to wait until someone who was dear gave up waiting.

As soon as Ava was used to the dark, she smiled broadly, drawing the man into the slow kiss they both needed to add a little tactile contact. 

"Me too, Connor" Ava said, looking up from his lips and yawning. "Sleep. Two operations tomorrow.

"Okay, Avey" Connor yawned after her, then grinned. 

A nightmare that happened a few years ago helped Connor come to happiness in the form of Ava Rhodes, whom he pulled out of the world, correcting his mistakes. He wouldn't stumble again, supporting her the way she'd done all the time Connor had been an "ungrateful prick".