Second chance

Slowly moving her fingers on her hands, Ava opened her eyes, almost immediately closing them against the bright light. My head throbbed uncomfortably,which made her entire body feel weak. As she gradually got used to the light, she realized that she was in a hospital room. Only the ward looked very cozy. Straining, Ava couldn't remember a similar situation in her hospital, although she knew every room exactly, having specially studied all the departments, that she didn't spend her free time alone.

Trying to turn her head to the side caused her neck to ache, and only then did Ava remember. She remembered how desperately she'd held the scalpel in her hand, arguing with Connor. She remembered sticking a sharp object in her neck, seeing Connor's frightened eyes at the last moment, and hearing him call for help as he held her in his arms.

Gently touching the bandaged neck, Ava seemed to lose her breath. It wasn't a dream. She really was going to die, but she survived.

"Dr. Bekker has regained consciousness" the nurse said anxiously, and then the girl herself ran over to ava, checking her vitals. "Joan, tell Dr. Rhodes".

Suddenly Ava felt sick when she realized that Connor was somewhere nearby. She didn't know how much time had passed, and she didn't know how Rhodes would react. She was afraid.

"Can you talk?" changing the drip, the women asked, noticing the patient's lost look.

"Y-yes" Bekker said hoarsely, gritting her teeth. The short answer came with difficulty, which didn't surprise her at all. It was rare for anyone to survive a throat cut at all. 

With a nod, the nurse went to the door, immediately bumping into Joan, who was supposed to notify Connor of Ava's change in condition.

"He's having a complicated operation, but Dr. Rhodes will be right back after it" Joan said in a whisper, but Ava could hear her word for word.

"Where am I?" barely audible uttered Ava, trying to at least sit down on the bed, but the womens arrived in time to put her back.

"No, you'd better not move yet" Joan said seriously, adding hastily. "At the Mayo clinic. You've been here almost two weeks. Dr. Rhodes brought you here in a forced coma".

"You woke up half a month before your preliminary health assessment" another nurse chimed in, falling silent as a tall man entered the room. Ava could see the mark on his lab coat that he was a doctor.

"Dr. Bekker, I'm your second doctor - Palmer Nelson, your first doctor, you guessed it, Dr. Rhodes" he said in a soft voice, assessing the woman's appearance at the same time. Ava was extremely pale, with dark circles under her eyes and dry lips. If it wasn't for the fact that she was miraculously alive, Nelson would have decided that the treatment was worth it. Only in the first few days, Ava looked more like a living corpse. No one could have imagined that she would Wake up in another ten days, except Connor himself.

"Why am I here?" Bekker gasped as Palmer checked her neck, removing the bandages. 

"Dr. Rhodes thought it necessary to bring you here" he said at once, carefully checking the stitches on the cut. "Our clinic is the best in difficult and hopeless cases. I admit that I would have chosen this hospital to save my fiancee, too".

Ava blinked in surprise, but didn't quite catch the gist of Nelson's words. There was no point in a fiancee, considering she was Connor's ex-girlfriend. Just as she was about to clarify, the man interrupted, as if awkwardly apologizing: "I guess the status of your relationship doesn't concern me".

"How - How do you know?" straining, Ava was able to ask the question in syllables, feeling less pain than she had the first time. It seems that she needed speech practice.