Chapter 1

I looked admiringly at a snow-covered Canterwood, shifting my bags in my hands.
"You excited" my mom asked, prancing in place, she was like a taller me. With her dark brown hair, green eyes and tan skin, even though I was only in 7th grade.
"Yes but I'm also nervous" I chewed the inside of my lip, mom was more excited then I was. "Stace don't be! your a great rider" she ruffled my hair and led me around to the trailer.
I opened the trailer door and Jay perked his ears toward me.
"Hey my beautiful boy" I cooed, I grabbed his red lead rope and brought him out, his white coat instantly blending with the snow. Jay looked around at the campus, then he bent his neck and got a mouthful of snow. "My silly boy" I patted his neck and laughed along with my mom. "I'm gonna go talk to Livvie and put your bags in your room" mom grabbed my bags from me and walk towards Winchester.
Jay lifted his head up, snow glistening on his whiskers, "lets go" I clicked to him and he started forward. We walked down the snow coated sidewalk to the stables.
A man with shaggy brown hair and green eyes stood at the entrance of the stables.
"Hi, I'm your riding instructor Mr. Connor" the man introduced himself and held out a hand. "I'm Stacy Dubane, and this is Mocking Jay" I shook his hand and then looked up at a very interested Jay.
Mr. Connor smiled and let Jay sniff his hand "nice to meet you both, now follow me and I'll show you his stall."
We followed Mr. Connor to the first row of stalls, he stopped in front of the stall by the aisle way.
Smiling at the gold name plate that said 'Jay', I opened the stall door and led him in. Also unclipping his lead from his halter and latching the door closed after I stepped out.
"See you tomorrow for our first lesson" Mr. Connor gave me a final nod and went to help another girl.
I trudged back through the snow and into Winchester, gold walls and green carpeting welcomed me when I opened the doors.
I spotted my mom and Livvie, "Stacy! your mom already unpacked your stuff for you" Livvie informed me, I grinned and hugged my mom. "Thank you so much" I squeaked, what was I going to do without her.
"I have to go sweetie" mom mumbled into my brown hair. "Ok I love you, and I'll miss you" I mumbled back giving her a final squeeze before letting go.
"I'll miss you too, love you!"
She disappeared out Canterwoods doors and Livvie handed me a paper.
"Here's your schedule and your roommate should already be up in your room."
"Okay thanks Livvie" I smiled and ran up to my room.
When I swung open the door to 14A I saw a black haired girl laying on a bunk and watching tv.
"Hi I'm Stacy" I waved, "oh hey, I'm Miranda" she got up and walked over to me. She motioned to my schedule and I held it up so she could see it.
"Oh my god, your a rider too" she squealed and jumped up and down. "Yes I am" I joined her, yay! a new friend on the first day.
"Are you nervous for advanced team tryouts?" She asked going back to her bunk and patting the spot beside her.
"So nervous" I responded and gladly took the offer.
We sat there and talked about horses until Livvie came in and told us to go to bed.
"Good night Miranda" I called, pulling my red comforter over myself in my own bunk. "Night Stacy" she yawned, I turned off the bedside lamp and let sleep take over.