Learn Your Lesson

I once read this book. It scared the living out of me when I read about this girl, raped and murdered, my age at the time. There was nothing lovely about those bones.

I remembered being in that freezing cold room without life.  I rocked just thinking about that girl – how she was so much like me…yet so different.

Her story ended quickly. She didn’t have a chance. Did she think she somehow did? No, of course not, she just wanted her killer caught.

I had to run. Run and hide with my cold companion to get away from him. What was the point? Really, I think, what was?  It had happened already, we couldn’t change it. We didn’t even end up telling anyone. We didn’t get our story out there. He’s still here, madder than ever, probably teaching more people. “Learn your lesson,” he would hiss, and then it would happen and it was too late to change anything.

We didn’t tell anyone. We didn’t warn anyone. We let it happen and we let it go. We ran, we hid, and we acted normal when really we weren’t the same anymore. We were a different species, and looks didn’t disguise that.

We were rewarded with another chance, so why didn’t we take advantage of it? We let it go all too easily.

Like we never learnt our lesson.