Chapter 5 (Edited)

"So how do we get into the apartment? Do we go through the club?" I asked curiously, unsure of what to do, and took a tentative step forward.

Michael grabbed my hand. "Nah, there's always stairs around the back of these places. Come on." He paused for a second. "Don't ask me how I know that."

"I have a feeling I already know."

He pulled me around the club and, sure enough, a brittle metal staircase that looked like a fire escape greeted us. I tried my best to ignore the couple having sex on a filthy mattress that looked like it had been used for that purpose before. "The door's up there."

I went first and was careful of where I stepped, not wanting to break it and fall onto the cement below. I finally reached the metal door after climbing up the zigzagging stairs and knocked. I thought I heard something inside, but it also could have been the club, which was certainly alive below. I knocked again, louder, and waited, turning to Michael to ask questions. "So, how do you know what time it is? Is it nighttime? Did I sleep that long?"

"No one knows the time here."

"But what about the clubs and bars and..." I motioned down below. "And there's never a sun or moon?

"They're on 24/7 but the sky stays the same. It's always red and stormy."

"No sunrise to stop the parties, I guess." I knocked again. "What about jobs? Do people have jobs? Are you required to have jobs?"

"Well yeah, this shit couldn't run if no one worked." Michael chuckled. "Usually, it's not required, unless you do something to piss off the leaders and they let you off easy. Those are the unsavory jobs, though. Some people eventually get bored of this stuff and settle down, just getting a job to pass the time. We're here forever, so yeah."

"Not settled down yet?" I elbowed Michael softly and grinned.

"Never!"

"How long have you been here?"

"It doesn't feel like very long, but time just blurs together so it's impossible to tell, really, but I have a feeling time passes a lot slower here than on the upside. Doesn't really matter, though."

"I was just curious. Obviously, I'm a fresh addition to the legions of Hell, but you seem pretty comfortable here. You know a lot."

Michael slung his arm around me with a laugh. "I guess you could say I'm your mentor, Persephone. I could teach you a lot of other things in the sheets if you're curious about that."

I rolled my eyes and pushed him off of me. "No thanks." I grimaced. "What was the year you died?"

"The turn of the millennium. Everyone thought the world was going to end."

My eyes widened. "Yeah, it's been a little while since then."

Michael's eyes squinted for a second, something he did when he thought, and he let out a heavy sigh. "Fine, you've peaked my interest, wretched woman. No, wait. Don't tell me. I don't want to know."

"You'd look like my father, probably." I laughed.

He groaned. "Thank God I died when I did, am I right?"

I glanced at the door. "Why isn't she answering? I'm getting worried." I knocked on the door even harder and finally it was pulled open.

"Speaking of the devil..." Michael grinned and winked at Fia, who was hastily pulling her robe closed and smoothing her wild hair back.

"I brought you your stuff!" I smiled and handed her the bag. "Can we come in?"

She looked a little flustered but grabbed her bag from me. "Uh, well, I have someone over right now."