Chapter 7

Harry

All the way to Ursula's restaurant, I thought about her. Back when she stood there in front of me, as perfect and as attractive as ever. Her charme had done something to me. She drove me crazy. Crazy about her. Still, that didn't stop me. I had to go to Uma to tell her I'd just met our princess. I'd waited months for that moment, for Mal to come crawling back. She did, and strangely enough, it didn't feel as satisfying as I thought. It got me thinking. Maybe I just didn't want to see Mal down. I'd loved her once, after all.

Or did I still?

A feeling of unease came over me at that thought. No, I couldn't feel anything for this girl! After all she had done, she didn't deserve my love. That's what I kept telling myself.

I finally got to Ursula's restaurant. I quickly repressed my thoughts, only then did I enter and put on my usual grin. "Uma, Gil, you'll never believe what I found out today," I said when I saw them standing at the counter.

Gil looked at me in surprise. "You bring us good news?"

"We're on the Isle. There is no good news here," Uma reminded him before a satisfied smile spread across her face. "Unless you tell me something has happened to our princess."

I didn't like the threat in her voice. Uma wanted to hurt Mal. So should I really tell Uma that she was here?

"Has it something to do with Mal?" Gil asked excitedly.

"Is she here?" Uma added "Can we get her already?" I wanted to just tell them the truth and get it over with, but I couldn't. I couldn't bring myself to betray Mal so easily. I was angry at Mal, very angry, but I didn't want anything to happen to her either.

So I quickly came up with another story. "No", I gave back, easily. "All I saw today was Drizella with Jafar." It was probably the stupidest thing I'd ever thought of, but it was the only thing I could think of in a hurry. I guess starting a little rumor wasn't as bad as turning Mal in.

Gil raised an eyebrow. "With Jafar?"

"Wow, Harry," Uma teased me. "Are you so bored already that you're becoming a gossip queen?"

Luckily, they took it with humor. Well, yeah, but I wasn't planning on staying here any longer. I had to think about what I had just done. Why was I so desperate to protect Mal? Why couldn't I betray her?

Finally, all I could do was sigh. "I gotta get back to work."

Uma gave me a nod. "I'll see you around."

As quickly as I could, I disappeared outside again and dived into the cool night air. I took a deep breath. What was wrong with me? I hadn't felt so many emotions like I did today in a long time. Then again she had not been here for a long time.

My feet moved through the back streets as if by magic until I came to the place where Mal lived. I looked up to her loft and saw her sitting there on her windowsill, papers and a pen in her hand. She looked beautiful in the moonlight, like she'd been drawn.

I enjoyed the sight of her before I raised my voice. "Princess, make sure you don't fall out of the window."

Mal looked down at me. "Harry", she said in surprise. "Have you told Uma I'm here yet?"

I would have liked to, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Delivering her to Uma was wrong. Why did I feel that way? I had no idea.
I tilted my head while grinning at her. "Is that what you want?"

She shrugged her shoulders calmly. "Well, one of her errand boys has to tell her."

Mal and her smart mouth. I should just shut it for her. Or kiss it. That had always worked before, but I didn't want to think about that now.

"I'm not Uma's errand boy," I growled at her.

"Really?" She smiled mischievously. "I've heard she is the boss here." She was, but not always. Uma and I shared the duties here, as well as our reputations. We were a good team, even though Uma usually presented herself as the leader.

"You're asking for it, Mal," I warned her.

She seemed to be pretty calm about it, though. "You should be used to that by now."

I was used to that. After all, we'd known each other since we were little. Mal had always been rebellious, and had never been able to keep her mouth shut. I liked that from the start. She was a girl like no other.

I shook my head. »See you, Mali."

Then I turned my back on her and disappeared as fast as I could into one of the dark side streets.