eighteen

I knocked on the front door, waiting anxiously. About three minutes later the door opened and my mum was looking at me as if she caught me doing drugs.

"Can you just listen to me?" I asked her, my eyes filling with tears, she noticed and with a sigh, she let me in and nodded for me to talk.

"Didn't you read the note I left?" I asked her. "Your phone was out of service for three months. How do I supposed to know where you are? And you left without even saying goodbye! Ashton, actually, I'm not buying this and I know you weren't on a 'business trip' like you said." She said, and my eyes widen a bit.

"So you better tell me where you were." She said, resting her hands on her hip. "I.. I just left town for some time. I needed a break or something." I said, trying my best to sound convincing.

"And why didn't you tell me, why did you just leave?"

"I didn't have time, the minute I wrote that letter, I left."

She sighed, closing her eyes. "So are you going to leave us again, or are you back for good?" She asked.

"Don't worry, I'd never leave again." I walked up to her, hugging her tightly. She didn't move at first, but then wrapped her arms around my neck.

"I love you, mum. I'm sorry." I said into her shoulder. She sighed, "Just don't make me worried like this again." We pulled apart and she slapped me across my cheek. I laughed and she smiled lightly, tears brimming from her eyes. She hugged me again and I guess we were now okay.

I spent the night there, but I didn't sleep, thinking about what Adara said.

I don't know if we can see each other anymore, but if anything, I really hope so.

+++

It has been two weeks since I came back to my mother, and for my luck, she didn't find out anything.

I got dressed and told her that I'm going out for a while. I hopped in the van and drove to Adara's place.

I was determined to know whether there was a chance or not.

I pulled up in front of her house. Getting out of the vehicle and walking to her doorstep.

I knocked on the door and waited a little until she opened.

"Ashton?"

"Hey." I said with a weak smile. She motioned for me to go inside. I hesitated at first, but got inside eventually.

"So," She said, as we sat on her couch. I shifted in my seat nervously, trying to form some sort of a speech to say to her.

"I, um, I know that I shouldn't have showed up again, but I just, I just wanted to know if there's any chance of us, to like, get back to meeting each other." She pressed her lips together, nodding.

"Well, I hardly know this, Ashton. I mean, it's hard for now." She said, disappointment clear in her voice.

"Why is it? I can just show you to my mum and problem solved."

"What are you gonna say about me? How do you even met me Ashton? You should really just forget you ever knew me." She said, standing up and walking to her kitchen.

I followed her like a lost puppy , as she opened the fridge and pulled out a bottle of water.

"I know we met in a very wrong time, but I don't know, I just don't want to not know you again. I can't see you on the street and act like I never knew you." I said, moving my arms in the air trying to prove my point.

She sighed, "But I'm bad news, Ashton. I'm going to make you in bad terms with your mother and I don't like this." She said. I walked up to her and cupped her cheeks.

"Look, yes, you might have made my relationship with my mother unstable. Yes, I can't possibly show you to her or anyone and that us knowing each other and doing what we do is dangerous, but I swear to God, Adara," I closed my eyes, shaking my head. "I won't leave you." I said seriously, looking her right in the eyes.

She let out a shaky breath, nodding. I smiled at her and planted a kiss on her forehead.

"I just don't wa-"

"Shhh," I cut her off. "I love you."