Chapter two.

I sat on a bar stool on a small stage in front of a small crowd, most being drunk men. I had my purple guitar sitting on my lap and a microphone set up before me. I cleared my throat and sighed. "Hey, um I'm Rye Smith, I'm going to preform some songs for you" I muttered. I looked down at the strings and gently brushed my fingers across the strings.

Father, father, tell me where have you been?
Its been hell not having you here
I've been missing you so bad
And you don't seem to care
When I go to sleep at night, you're not there
When I go to sleep at night, do you care?

Do you even miss us?
Your bottle's your mistress
I need to know, I need to know

Why are you walking away?
Was it something I did?
Did I make a mistake cause
I'm trying to deal with the pain
I don't understand this, is this how it is?
I will try to understand

Father, father, tell me where are you now?
Its been hell not having you
Last thing I heard, you were fed up, you're skipping town
With no note telling where
When I go to sleep at night, you're not there
When I go to sleep at night, do you care?

I need to know, I need to know

Why are you walking away?
Was it something I did?
Did I make a mistake cause
I'm trying to deal with the pain
I don't understand this, is this how it is?

Why are you running away?
I don't understand this, is this how it is?
Why are you running away?
Tell me please, tell me please, I need to know

Is this what you call a family?

Spent seven years wishing that you'd drop the line
But I carry the thought along with you in my mind
But is this what you call a family?
Is this what you call a family?
Family!

Why are you walking away?
Was it something I did?
Did I make a mistake cause
I'm trying to deal with the pain
I don't understand this, is this how it is?

Why are you running away?
I don't understand this, is this how it is?
Why are you running away?
Tell me please, tell me please, I need to know

Is this what you call a family?

A few people in the crowd cheered, others were drunk and probably had no idea what was happening. I gave a lop sided smile before playing a few more songs.

I thanked the crowd and left the stage. The pub owner paid me and thanked me for coming. I slipped out the back door and jogged down the street. I had forgotten my coat and it's currently snowing, and my body is not use to the cold. My phone buzzes scaring me slightly.

'We have to cancel ur 2pm show as we are having issues and won't be open' the message read.

I sighed heavily and trudged towards Starbucks, I need coffee. I walked through the heavy glass door, only to be greeted by a gush of warm air. I sighed happily and ordered myself a coffee. I leant against the wall and moved my fingers as if I were playing piano. A song I was unfamiliar played softly in the background.

"Rye Smith?" A deep voice called.

I shoved myself off the wall and walked over to the counter. "Thanks man" I grinned taking the cup from his hands. "No problem love" he nodded, his accent flowed making me smile softly. I slowly walked to a table at the back and set down my guitar and coffee. I slid into the booth and sighed, my legs were tired as hell. I lifted the warm cup to my lip and took a small sip to check the temperature. I waited a couple minutes before taking another sip. The door suddenly flew open making me jump. Two boys walked in laughing and shivering. I slowly sipped my drink and watched them order their drinks. They spun around and looked in my direction making me look at the floor in embarrassment. I heard one speak softly. "Looks like someone got our spot" he giggled. I rolled my eyes and quickly finished the left over drink. I reached beside me and grabbed my guitar case and rushed out. I stood outside the shop and sighed bitterly. I looked up, still snowing. I purse my lips. Fantastic! I have to walk in the cold! I don't have an Oyster card, and I don't have anywhere near enough money for a cab... Maybe I could do some busking? I puffed up my cheeks and nodded, I guess that's my only choice. I set down my guitar case and flopped to the ground. I carefully opened the case and pulled out my baby. I set it on my thigh and began strumming gently. Slowly I began playing Sunburnt by Muse.

Come waste your millions here
Secretly she sneers
Another corporate show
A guilty conscience grows
I'll feel a guilty conscience grow

I sang it softly. I took a deep breath and continued.

She burns like the sun
And I can't look away
And she'll burn our horizons make no mistake

I sang the last line softly and opened my eyes to see a few people dropping money into my guitar case.

"That was amazing" A voice chirped. I looked up and was met with a pair of amazing blue eyes. "Oh uh... Thanks?" I mumbled. The boy smiled happily. "Your welcome! I'm Phil by the way" he introduced. I nodded awkwardly... I guess I tell him my name? "Uh I'm Rye" I muttered looking down. Phil's phone buzzed making my head fly up. His beautiful eyes scanned over his phone before he groaned. "Well uh I have to go, see you later Rye" he grinned. He waved goodbye before running down the street. Weirdo.