Set a Challenge

A/N: i wrote chaps 1+2 in mid 2020 and then wrote the last one in late 2020 so my writing style improved a lot in the time between

Hailey walked in front of the 5 other members of the Music Club.

"So.. before we begin rehearsals, I'm setting a challenge." she started. She heard Jake sigh. She smiled, Jake didn't know who that the challenge wasn't just for him. "But, this challenge is only for Jake and Zander." she continued.

Jake and Zander glared at eachother from opposite sides of the room. Why would Hailey do this? She knew the two hated eachother. There was a long pause, until Zander decided to break the silence.

"Wha- Why would you partner me up with a jerk like him?!" Zander yelled, standing up. "He- he's been making fun of our club for months now!"

Jake rose too, jumping off the desk. "The name's Jake, Zander. And I'm not too stoked about it either! You weren't... and still aren't really the nicest person to me, too." He crossed his arms and rolled his eyes.

"Guys, please. It's to help you two get along." Hailey pressed. She folded her arms and looked at Milly, for backup.

"Yeah... I get what Hailey's saying. Your not-so-little rivalry has been getting in the way of all of our rehearsals and meetings!" Milly said, getting the hint. "Everyone agrees." She added, nodding at Sean and Luke.

"C'mon guys, we're not that bad.. are we?" Jake asked. He knew that his relationship with Zander wasn't the best, but, did it really get in the way?

He looked over at the other guys, Sean and Luke. They had a sheepish look on their faces, averting eye contact with either Jake or Zander right in the eyes.

"I mean... you guys do argue a lot. But you're two of the most important people in the group, sorry Hailey, we can't just get rid of you." Luke said, as an attempt to break the tension in the air.

"Don't be so nice, Luke! Last week when Zander kept missing his cues?" Milly interrupted, leaning against the wall next to her guitar. "It was 'cause he was glaring daggers at Jake!"

"But he's been insulting us for ages! How do you know I can trust him?" Zander raised his voice. Jake looked back at him, before immediately looking away as Zander noticed him.

"Please, Zander. It's for the good of the club." Hailey walked over and put a hand on her brother's shoulder. "The task is really important for us."

Jake felt a pang if guilt. That's when he decided. "If it's for the club, I'm in," He spoke up. "Even if it's with Zander."

Zander stared at Jake in disbelief. He... couldn't believe it. Jake noticed Zander staring, and looked back at him. His dark eyes contrasting Zander's lavender ones. It wasn't the Jake he knew. Or he thought he knew.

"Zander, you in?" Hailey asked, disrupting the silence.

Zander sighed before answering, "For the Club."