Chapter 4

Me and Brit could both agree, having powers was fun. But y'know what would be even funner? BEING ABLE TO CONTROL THEM!

We had tested different body movements and gestures, and it felt like we were getting the hang of it, but whenever we neared each other, there felt this big invisible tension, like a wall pushing us back.

Not that we wanted to touch one another, EW, get that out of your head!

It was just weird, okay?

"So what power have we discovered now?" I asked Brit as she typed the fifteenth power into her mobile.

"Power sixteen, sparks from the fingertips."

"Oh yes," I said, almost cheekily, "I could feel the sparks between us."

I burst into laughter at my joke and Brittany only rolled her eyes, not impressed.

"Alvin, you're better than this." She remarked and I only stuck my tongue out in an angry reply.

It was when I did this that a gust of wind pushed out of my mouth and like a tornado, suddenly circled us in a windy cone, that was lifting us off the ground into the air.

Me and Brit both instinctively shield ourselves with our coloured bubbles that act as a safeguard from any immediate danger.

The bubbles fell to the ground in a heavyweight, and we watched as the wind storm blew away through the suburbs.

Brittany slowly turned her mortified face at me, and said timidly, "Okay, let's not do that again."

"Check." I agreed, giving her a thumbs up. As I walked over to her side, a sudden lightning spark bounced off her and hit me hard in the midsection, making me yelp in pain as I was flung away.

Brittany turned around to see what was up with me, and my feet scraped along the cement as I tried to stop the push back from the sharp spark.

"You okay there, Alvin?"

"Brittany," I began, almost smiling cheesily, but was honestly bewildered, "You don't think there's a force between us, pushing us further and further away?"

"Er, no."

"Hmm..." I mumbled before an idea lit up in my mind and I quickly ran at her, touching her upper arm.

It was at that second a huge electric power ball blew up between us, and we were both thrown through the air, landing on our bums... at least it was a somewhat 'cushioned' landing.

I realized at that moment that my body had been weakened, and I stood up, approaching Brittany, who flinched as I came nearer.

"Don't!" She screeched, and I looked carefully between us, realizing the tension that had been only moments before, was now only a thread in its appearance and strength.

I nervously reached out my hand to the chipette, and when she saw there were no sparks between us (Didn't know how else to phrase that), she suddenly grabbed a hold of my offering hand, and I pulled her to her feet.

It was then we realized there was more than just us who had been experiencing everything.

We looked around suddenly, feeling the presence of eyes staring at us in the distance and looked up, seeing the stares of our neighbours and pedestrians that had stopped to see the show.

"Awe!" An elderly timid woman said, holding her hands in a love heart shape and pressing her cheek to them, "They really do love each other."

"Did you see that explosion they caused earlier?!" The policeman yelled, looking at us with a pointing finger, "They're perfect for each other."

I quickly let go of Brittany's hand, going red in the face and that just made the public ooo and awe the more.

"They're so afraid to show each other their true feelings."

"I'll give YOU true feelings!" I growled and jumped in the air with fright, flying all above the crowd, "Me and Brittany are not an item! We will NEVER be an item! So just, GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK HEADS!"

I landed back to the ground, standing a few feet away from Brit, and just heard her say.

"...never?"

My eyebrows bounced upwards, surprised to hear that reply and I turned around to face her, mightily confused.

"Er yeah... it's not like we have feelings for one another."

"..."

Brittany didn't say anything for a minute, before seeming to lower her eyes to the ground, her head hanging down a little as she placed her hands behind her back and walked timidly away.

"No... of course not."

After she had disappeared down the street, I felt the public's eyes back on me, except this time they were not impressed. No, they were furious!

"How could you do that to that sweet girl!?" The cop asked as if baffled.

"Okay, first of all," I began, looking up at him in anger, "It's Brittany, not a girl, and secondly – KEEP OUT OF MY LIFE!"

The crowd all shook their heads, despondent as they began to walk away, and I saw some people with cameras take pictures of me in my fallen state.

"GET OUT OF HERE," I yelled and clenched my hands in anger. At that moment two wind balls flung out of my hands and smacked the two cameras out of their hands, smashing the footage to the floor, "That's what you get for not using modern technology... you dinosaurs." I said, and was about to stick out my tongue to them – but! I thankfully remembered that I did not want to cause another whirl winding tornado.

The paparazzi only grumbled, and I huffed out a stale breath, folding my arms and glaring at them till they left.

After they had turned to leave, my phone started vibrating, before my ringtone played out loudly the song, Witch Doctor, and I pulled it to my ear, not even bothering to look at the number.

"Brit?" I asked fast, hoping it was her.

"No, Alvin, it's me."

"Oh, SIMON..." I replied a bit deflated that it was not the chipette, "What's up?"

"You need to come back to the lab,"

"Don't you mean basement?" I added with a grin and Simon only sighed, annoyed.

"Fine, 'Basement'. I've discovered something dangerous about your new powers."

"What?"

"Come to the lab- basement, and I'll show you."

"Kay," I replied and hung up the call. What could be wrong now?

I wish I hadn't known, but destiny needed to prepare me... and it did.

Just not how I was expecting...