one

Friday June 21, 2019

It was the first night of the 2019 NHL Draft and Addison "Addy" Bowman was getting ready for the night.

Addy was the oldest daughter of the Chicago Blackhawks general manager, Stan Bowman and the granddaughter of Hall of Famer and NHL great, Scotty Bowman. To say that Addy and her younger sister, Gracie grew up around hockey would be an understatement.

The two girls had grew up in NHL locker rooms and NHL arenas all over the United States and Canada learning how to skate and the fundamentals of hockey from some of the best to play the sport.

Addy had just graduated high school and was scheduled to attend the University of Michigan for their online Sports Management program while completing an internship with the Blackhawks Social Media team.

Addy's dream was to be the first female general manager in the National Hockey League and who better to teach her the job of being a NHL general manager than her own father.

"Girls!! Hurry up, the car will be here any minute!" Abby's dad, Stan yelled from the living area of their hotel suite.

Addy adjusted her dress, grabbed her phone, and purse and walked out of the room she was sharing with her sister, Gracie, to meet her parents who were all ready to go.

"Who you picking, daddio?" Addy asked as she met her parents.

"You know the rules, Ad, just because you're technically apart of the organization, doesn't mean you find out who we're drafting." Stan replied to her daughter sarcastically.

"Well, I hope he's hot." Gracie said to her family causing the other 3 Bowman's to turn to look at the young 17 year old and laugh, "And like a good player too." Gracie added on to try and save herself.

"Well, I think you're gonna like the one we hope to end up with." Stan said to his daughters before the four walked to the elevator that took them downstairs to the car that was waiting outside to take them to the Rogers Arena.

||||||||

"Why am I so nervous?" Addy whispered to her dad as the two sat on the floor of the Rogers Arena surrounded by the 30 other NHL teams' executives, coaches, and general managers.

"Because it's your first time on the floor as a employee, Ad. Don't be nervous, just sit here and take it all in." Stan said before pulling his daughter in for a hug.

Addy tried to control her nerves and continued to sit in the chair beside her father as the commissioner of the league walked onstage and welcomed everyone to the night.

The New Jersey Devils and the New York Rangers had went on stage and picked their picks making it the Blackhawks turn to make their selection. 

All of the Blackhawks executives and the head coach, Jeremy Colliton, all made their way up to the stage at the Rogers Arena leaving Addy and Gracie sitting at the Hawks' table. 

"Dear God, please let them pick someone cute." Gracie said as she scooted her chair closer to Addy's. 

"Pray to God, he's cute AND good at puck." Addy said to her younger sister.

"I mean, I wouldn't be upset if they picked Turcotte or Byram."

"Dach would be a good pick too." Addy said as she looked over at her sister.