Chapter One

"Do not follow vain desires; for verily he who prospers is preserved from lust, greed, and anger."

- Abu Bakr

Bodies swirled around one another in a passionate waltz as lovers and friends rejoiced in the festivities. The large and rather monochrome ballroom was fit for the hosts' of the evening. The Taylors, a very wealthy and sought after aristocratic presence, had an entirely selfish and drab need for this party. Alex D'Marco Taylor was a man no more than forty-five with one wife and three mistresses. Sir Taylor, he preferred, was not very fond of his pasty and plain wife, Larissa Fonsway Taylor. He believed that the Lord had punished him for the unruly behavior Sir Taylor had fallen to when he was a young bachelor.

So, to prevent a plain future and boring retirement, Sir Taylor had taken it upon himself to seduce and impregnate his mistresses. Missy June, the beauty of a woman with raven black hair, piercing blue eyes, and ivory skin, was Sir Taylor's favorite of the three. Missy was in her late twenties, and for a while, she worked as a local prostitute. Missy knew every way imaginable to bring Sir Taylor to his knees. Unfortunately, Missy had admitted to Alex Taylor that due to an accident from her time on the streets, she was unable to conceive children. In truth, Sir Taylor knew that it was only because Missy had undergone a failed abortion.

The second mistress Sir Taylor had claimed was named Felicite Margo, a woman aged twenty-two with large ambitions. This young woman's past was a mystery to Sir Taylor, but the air of confidence and hot-headed personality drove him wild with desire. Felicite's dark brown hair and emerald eyes matched her copper skin smoothly. With lips colored that of red rubies, she enchanted Sir Taylor even from afar. There were many times when the two were alone that he'd let down his guard just enough for her to take complete control. Sir Taylor had to be careful and cautious around Felicite. If given the right chance, she'd steal everything he held dear. Because of this, Sir Taylor was reluctant to have her bear his child.

Lastly, there was Connie Grace. Connie was a woman who had just reached the age of thirty-five. Most women would despise this and would try to find ways to keep their youthful demeanor alive. Connie Grace was the perfect ideal woman to raise a child. Her motherly instincts and constant desire to protect, teach, and aid was something Sir Taylor had admired when they first met nineteen years ago. Connie was a woman like no other and just at the age of sixteen, had men clamoring over one another to obtain her hand in marriage. Sir Taylor had managed to seduce and charm the young lady back then, and even now wonders why he didn't marry her. Connie would spend most of Sir Taylor's free nights with him in a passionate tryst. Connie's golden hair and hazel eyes were always the most prominent feature she had. With her hair done up or down, her eyes bewitched countless men and led them to form business contracts with Sir Taylor just so they could meet her again. But, what made Connie even more priceless to him, was that she was the only woman willing and capable to conceive his child.

Eighteen years ago today, on Christmas morning, Connie gave birth to a beautiful baby girl who matched Connie's appearance exactly. From the golden hair and the hazel eyes to her pale complexion, the little girl had it all. The only trait she inherited from Sir Taylor himself was the small patch of freckles that dotted her cheeks and nose. Today would be the day he'd finally get to see his little girl turn into a young woman. Not only would she be presented to all of the socially elite families at the party, but she'd be presented as the future wife to the eldest son of the Mennet Family. Before tonight, they had never met, the eldest son and Sir Taylor's daughter, though both fathers had decided their pairing was only natural.

Standing atop a grand staircase, Alex Taylor looked over the crowd, all eyes and attention on him. The orchestra played a few pieces of ballroom dance music, making sure that their instruments were quiet and peaceful for the speech he had prepared.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for joining us this evening! I hope everyone here is enjoying our large table of refreshments and the music provided! If you have any song requests, please feel free to speak with the director!"

Sir Taylor's voice echoes in the ballroom, everyone paying close attention to the man speaking. In the center of the room stands the Mennet family, the eldest son paying the closest attention out of the five of them.

"As you all know, today is my daughter's eighteenth birthday! Up until now, I had deemed it important for her to stay hidden from the outside world with the growing pressures of sex and crime forced onto young women. Her purity and chastity is something I've always protected and respected about my daughter. The meaning of this party is to tell those of you here that my daughter will be marrying none other than Lord Noah Mennet!"

The crowd erupts into cheers and praises as boastful pride appears on Sir Taylor's face. Meanwhile, in the crowd, Lord Noah Mennet watches the man closely, arms folded over his chest and dark eyes examining the man. Irritation sparks inside the young lord's chest as Sir Taylor continues his speech.

After accepting the loud cheers and praises, Sir Taylor finally decides to end his game and to introduce his daughter. "Everyone, please offer my darling daughter Gemma D'Elouise Taylor a warm welcome!"