The Disappearance

Steam diffused into the room as the bathroom door opened. Standing in front of the mirror, Matteo raised his left arm to stare at the scar. The light irregular, abnormally protruding skin glared back at him as the afternoon light shined on it. Ten years had not done much to heal the scar. he traced it with his fingers, clenching his teeth. Dressing up in a plum shirt and black pants, he left the room to have a cup of coffee from the nearby bakery. He peered at the door for a while: Room 415. Disregarding his thoughts until he had had some caffeine in his body, he continued towards the elevator.

-----

Sighing, he took another sip of his black coffee and picked up the call.

"Che cosa è?", he asked.

"Ho Massimo's rapporto. Lui sa."

"How many men?" Matteo knew he would not take the failure lightly. He had to make sure he could never know about his presence in Egypt.

"Five. And Ivan is one of them." The information only reaffirmed what he already knew. Carina had become the treasure everyone would now try to acquire. If he wasn't careful, he could start another war and the last thing he wanted was the loss of more lives. His famiglia should not have to be sacrificed unnecessarily.

"Il famoso Occhio di Diavolo?", he frowned. Ivan Yumenof was an exceptional marksman for the Russian Mafia. He was famous in the underworld for being merciless; killing innocents for money. Asking the Russians for help. Is he that desperate? He needed to proceed with his plan. He had wanted to wait until they were back in Italy but there was no time left now. He had made his move. I have to get the bag today. "I want their location. Il prima possibile."

"Sì. Does she know?" Matteo understood what was being asked but did was unaware of the answer.

"It does not seem so.", he replied.

"Be careful, boss. We need her on our side."

-----

He did not realise when the sun had set. He had been occupied with formulating strategies to deal with the oncoming trouble. His stomach growled reminding him that he had not eaten anything since last night. He wondered if Carina had had lunch. Deciding to ask her himself, he made his way towards the hotel. He reflected on last night's events on his way.

Matteo had not planned to act on his lust but being in her presence tested his control. Even her smell was enough to turn him on. She always smelled like vanilla: sweet and innocent. If she had not brought him out of his lustful haze, they probably would have spent last night exploring each other. His fingers tingled as he remembered how wet she had been; he could feel it through her jeans. His patience was wearing thin. He had had a taste and he could not wait to devour her. While he was pleased by her reaction to his touch, he could not enjoy it yet. He wanted to hear her scream his name as he pounded his cock into her pussy and it could not happen. Not yet.

Exhaling loudly to calm his hormones, he knocked on Carina's door. He knocked louder when she did not answer. Growing worried, he cursed himself for not asking for her phone number. He had almost given up when he saw a member of the housekeeping walk towards the room. He backed away when the cleaner opened the door with his key. Pushing the man aside and ignoring his calls, Matteo went straight to the bedroom. He checked the bathroom, the cupboard and under the bed.

"The guest checked out a few hours ago. What are you looking for?", the cleaner asked. Matteo ignored his inquiry. Entering his room, he immediately dialled a number.

"I want you to find out where she is. Adesso!" He hung up and ran a hand through his hair. The perturbed tone of his command must have sped up the process because his phone rang within ten minutes.

The response from the caller made his jaw tick. He tried to focus on his breathing to control his anger. You're in trouble, mia gattina.

"Make sure nobody else can find her. I want them to think she is still here. At least until I finish my business. Capisci?"

"Sì."

"And keep an eye on her."

He threw his phone on the bed. It bounced and landed on the rug making him grunt. Shrugging his clothes off, he ordered a chicken dish for himself to satisfy his stomach.

-----

Evening

Sicily, Italy

As the brunette entered her house, a man parked on the opposite side of the street called someone using his Bluetooth device.

"She has reached.", he communicated.

Having received his orders, he comfortably leaned back on his seat. He had more than enough experience surveilling people and it had taught him to never judge a book by its cover. The target seemed as ordinary one could be but it only made him more suspicious about what she could be hiding. He was a patient man. He would know everything soon enough anyway. His car had enough supply of coffee to keep him up through the night.

He walked around the house at a distance to make sure it was safe. It was almost noon. He had assumed she would not be going to work when the clock struck nine and there had been no movement inside the house. Settling in his car, he ate his lunch. It will be boring if she does not leave the house. As he had feared, the target did not go out that day. He wondered if she knew she was being watched. Had she been informed?

At about 8 P.M., he followed her to a restaurant where she met a man and two women. He made sure to click clear pictures which would help identification. He waited outside but kept an eye on her through the glass wall. She spent three hours with her friends before returning home.

When he noticed the light in the bedroom stay on after ten, he came up with various possible scenarios. Maybe she was planning her next robbery? Maybe she was planning to exact revenge on her ex? Or maybe she was an alien who had come to save the earth? He laughed. He had been watching Korean dramas lately. It seemed to be taking its toll. He turned in his report for the day with the pictures attached. Preparing his spicy cup noodles, he clicked on 'Next Episode' when she finally turned off the lights around 2 A.M. Ji Soo better divorce his wife soon!

-----
The next morning

Rome, Italy

Davide had just taken off his t-shirt when his phone rang. Looking at the contact, he picked up at once.

"Capo?", he questioned, curious about what the call was concerning.

"Chi è l'uomo con lei?"

Davide stiffened, not expecting Capo to be angry. It took him a few seconds to understand what the question meant.

"I sent all the de-", he started to reply.

"I want to know what their relationship is!" Hearing him growl over the phone made Davide realise how much the picture had bothered him. He did not wish to disappoint but he did not have an answer.

"We don't have enough information yet." The regret was apparent in his tone. The only response was the beep indicating the end of call. He kept his phone and his t-shirt on the bench and started warming up his body for the workout.

-----