Chapter 26 - The Brimstone Grand Tournament

I woke with a start to see Phoebe sitting with her feet up on a nearby table. She regarded me with a half-smile. "You twitch like a dog, while you sleep."

"That makes sense, seeing as I'm curled up by the fireplace." I chuckled, not taking offense, for her smile was good natured and held no meanness. I was actually pleased to see her, despite the early hour. Talia hadn't visited me since I'd been so rude to her at the stables. Hopefully, sending Phoebe meant she wasn't angry with me.

"A little girl ran by to wake you, but I said I'd do it. She said to tell you that you're performing today." Phoebe shook her head. "They don't exactly give you a lot of notice. Princess Talia's known for days."

"Luckily, I found out yesterday, or I'd have been pretty surprised."

Phoebe's expression turned business like. "I thought we should start the makeup early, so you can get some practice doing it yourself."

"But you're so good at it."

"Nice try."

Phoebe made me do most almost everything, and I became more accustomed to using the mirror, although I still had difficulty with the more intricate designs. I'd managed to draw a couple of crooked stars over one of my eyebrows before we ran short on time and Phoebe finished the rest of the job.

After leaving the entertainer's hall, I joined a steady stream of castle entertainers and servants heading toward the tourney grounds. We passed through the main gate and converged with crowds of townsfolk who lived in the castle town. I began capering and joking with them, and it wasn't long before I discovered how easy the young children were to amuse. They even enjoyed my crude attempts at juggling. But most of all, they loved when I would sprint forward and execute a series of flips and tumbles across the grass. By the time we reached the tournament grounds, I had a trail of youngsters at my heels.

At the entrance, a grand arch decorated with flowers and vines had been erected. I was surprised to see the royal family personally greeting the townsfolk as they passed through. King Roland, who had always appeared stern and aloof to me, was smiling and chatting happily with his subjects. Queen Vivien was surrounded by her own gaggle of admirers, mostly women from the castle town. Talia and her brothers, Stefan and Samuel were present as well. Talia seemed comfortable talking with the townsfolk, and I noticed how easily she charmed both a young child and an elderly man, who seemed somewhat confused and disoriented. Stefan and Samuel stood awkwardly and kept looking wistfully into the tournament grounds. Clearly, they would rather be inside enjoying the festivities than stuck here with their parents.

Samuel and Stefan were the first to see me approach and they moved in unison to greet me. "Jangles, good to see you again. Can you give us a flip like the one when we last met," Samuel winked and elbowed me like we were old friends.

I controlled the impulse to roll my eyes at his desire to see me burp. "Ah, what a fine idea your highnesses, Jangles would like nothing more than to indulge your clever request, but I worry that the king might not appreciate your witty sense of humor."

Stefan snorted. "You wouldn't say that if you heard my mother the night after a large feast."

I pretended not to hear him and capered away to Talia. She looked beautiful in a sky blue dress with grass green cuffs.

I gave a low bow. "Your highness. There was no need to dress so lovely for Jangles." It was fortunate I was wearing thick white makeup, for I blushed when the unplanned compliment emerged.

Talia nodded. "That is kind of you, Sir Fool, for of late I have heard some curt and unkind words directed towards me."

It took all my strength not to hang my head in shame, for I knew she was talking about my treatment of her the last time we spoke. "Jangles is most distressed to hear that princess. I'm sure that whoever said cruel things to such a charming lady must be a far greater fool than I."