Chapter 31 - A Shadow Dispelled

Uncle Martin. His sour smell of sweat and alcohol crept into my nostrils. I immediately felt small and frightened, like I was six years old once again and riding alongside him in the rickety cart.

"Ya thought ya were so clever sneaking away like that after knockin' me on the head, but ya weren't that smart. I looked for ya and I found this near the clearin'." He thrust his staff forward. "I knew where ya went, and I knew ya'd show up eventually."

I struggled in his grip, but I was too weak, and he held onto me with little effort.

"What do you want from me?" I pleaded.

He looked at me critically. "Want from ya. By the look of ya, I'm surprised yer not beggin' to come home. Ya look half dead."

"Well, I'm fine here, so you can go away."

An evil look crossed his features. "Don't ya dare tell me what to do, boy, or I'll remind ya what happens to brats that disrespect me."

I closed my mouth, not wanting to test his patience.

He nodded. "You've taken things from me, boy. A comb and a necklace are missin' from my cabin, and I want them back."

"They're not yours," I argued, but my voice sounded feeble and small. I feared he would take my mother's necklace if he discovered it in my pocket, and there was nothing I could do to stop him.

"Oh, they're mine alright, but if ya don't have em then ya can come with me and work off what ya owe." He began pulling on my arm.

I looked around frantically and noticed his horse drawn cart a short ways off. The townsfolk ignored us, as my uncle began dragging me toward it. Likely, they just thought I was a disobedient teen being taken by his father. I tried to wriggle free, but the energy I'd discovered during the day had drained away at the appearance of my uncle. Despair crept over me, as I began imagining a life back in the hut. What would Uncle Martin do to me? Would he chain me up? Would he hit me every night? My eyes teared up. Did it even matter? It's where I belonged anyways.

"What do you think you're doing?" A commanding voice shouted across the street.

I looked up. Talia strode from the shop, her eyes blazing with anger.

My uncle hesitated, unsure who she was talking to.

"Yes, I'm speaking to you. That is a loyal subject of the king that you are man handling. I insist you release him immediately." Talia glared at Uncle Martin.

"He's a thief, and I'm only tryin' to recover my property."

"Really, and what has this thief stolen?"

"A necklace and a comb."

Talia examined my uncle critically. "Are you sure? You don't seem to be the type to wear necklaces...or use a comb."

"They were inherited, from my sister-in-law."

"Ah, I understand." Talia nodded, sagely. "She had no children, and you were the last living relative. Correct?"

My uncle shuffled his feet.

Talia stepped closer, her expression set in a fearsome scowl. "I didn't hear your answer. Was my assumption correct?"

"There was a child," my uncle muttered. His hold on my arm slackened.

Talia moved even closer, nearly butting up against him. "So, the child would be the one who has inherited these items and anyone else who laid claim to them would be the thief. Does that sound correct?"

Uncle Martin said nothing. He glowered hatefully at Talia, trying to intimidate her.

He didn't realize who he was speaking to. She more than matched his glare.

"Here's what we do to thieves in my city," she hissed. "I have one of my guards thrash them, and then I have them thrown in the castle dungeon where we put them in a cell with a slimy floor, and rats nibble at their feet whenever they fall asleep. And when we get sick of their foul smell, they are exiled deep into the Bale Woods, and we never ever see them again."

Peridor stepped up protectively behind Talia and cracked his knuckles.

My uncle seemed to shrink. For so many years, he'd frightened me with his loud voice and heavy bulk, but now I saw him for what he was; nothing but a small, insignificant coward. I shoved his hand from my shoulder and walked away.

"Do not ever come to my town again," Talia seethed, "or you shall find out firsthand what happens to thieves."

Uncle Martin slunk away. A crowd had gathered by this time. They watched him with rebuking stares as he returned to his cart and departed.

And I was free. For the first time in my life I felt truly free. I hadn't realized the terrible hold my uncle still held in my memories until seeing him today, but now knew he was nothing but an insignificant, cowardly worm. The fears that had lurked in the shadows of my mind disappeared.

"Thank you." I clasped Talia's hand and very nearly dropped to my knees at her feet. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

The fiery anger in her eyes disappeared. She looked at me with a quirky smile. "It's just pants and shirts, Gael. No big deal."