Conflagration

Chapter 30

-Conflagration

   The sun settles on the horizon as the day quietly begins to end. Even into the late hours of the evening, Naruto continues to train hard, yet to produce any meaningful results. However, his conviction never falters. Not even once. He continues to push and push even when his muscles burn in agony.

Shizake's stirs from his nap, groggily waking up to the sounds of Naruto's yells and grunts. He shakes the sleep out of his head, standing up and stretching. With his chakra reserves once more replenished, he begins walking towards the open area he's been using.

   "Getting back to it?" Kakashi asks.

   "Yes. I have to. If I don't, then my existence is for naught," He lowly says.

"Hm. I wouldn't put it that way... but go ahead," Kakashi replies, going back to his book.

Once more flames erupt into the evening sky, heat blazing out in all directions. Shizake allows the attack to dissipate before once again firing another quarter powered massive flame spear out. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath, focusing his mind and chakra to keep at ease.

   Both Naruto and Shizake continually push their selves for the rest of the evening, continuing on into the night. Soon enough they call it for the day, setting up camp on the edge of the training field. With darkness blanketing the night sky, a full moon appears casting a dim glow.

   The four ninja eat some prepared rations before setting up their sleeping arrangements. Shizake, rattled with exhaustion, lays back and gazes up at the moon. Kakashi arrives out of the treeline, a basket in hand. He sets it down next to Naruto and Shizake before climbing into his makeshift bed.

   Naruto and Shizake confusedly look at one another before reaching into the basket filled with odd looking food pellets.

   "Looks like Sakura left these for us," Naruto says, grabbing some notes that were in the basket as well. "Heh. Words of encouragement. Here, this one's for you." Naruto hands Shizake the note before laying back in his bed.

   I believe in you

   Shizake reads the note, softly smiling and placing it close to his heart. Thank you, Sakura, Shizake thinks to himself. He pops a food pellet into his mouth. Shizake's face grimaces in disgust as the pellets prove to be pretty bad tasting. However, he notices a bittersweet taste to them, almost as if the fact that Sakura made them makes them taste better. He forces a few more down before rolling over on his side and falling asleep.

***

   Shizake awakens to the sounds of more yells and grunts. He opens his eyes, noticing that it's still dark outside but getting close to sunrise. Gazing at the waterfall, he notices Naruto training again, attempting to cut the waterfall in half. The Uchiha forces himself up as well, taking inspiration from Naruto's conviction.

  I can't stop here either.

   He walks over to his own section, going back to spewing flame Spears into the air. Hours and hours of grueling training go by as the sun peaks into the horizon. Morning rays are cast over the training field along with a rush of warm air from the Sun's heat.

   Shizake becomes drenched it sweat due to the hot sun and the constant use of fire jutsu. He falls on his back, panting heavily as he tries to regain his breath. His palms erupt with a burning pain as he brings them over his face and examines them. Blackened streaks and scalds cover his hands, throbbing with intensity. He slowly places them on the grass but even the slightest touch causes them to sting.