Chapter 7

The six of them gathered and put on their shoes, then the officers led them out the mechanical door, and Emily let out a sigh of relief when it closed behind them. They made their way up a very long staircase until they reached a door, which led them into a different house. Alejandra walked over to a window and opened the shades, shielding her eyes as they adjusted to the natural light. The others winced as their eyes did likewise. Alejandra went around to the other windows and opened their shades as well.

"How soon can we leave?" Evan asked.

Alejandra rejoined them. "Not soon enough." She said, pulling out the 1911 and shooting both officers in the heads.

"Woah!" Jeremy exclaimed, raising his hands. "What the fuck?"

"There aren't any cop cars outside." Alejandra explained. "Just a green van. They're not real SWAT."

Evan looked at her with wide eyes. "What if they just parked farther away?!"

Ava shook her head. "No, she's right. You guys remember the first day when we were talking about what we remembered?"

They nodded.

"I lied." Ava admitted. "I woke up in the back of a van and heard the driver and passenger talking. The female SWAT officer was the passenger in the van."

Evan looked at her. "Why didn't you say anything then?"

Ava looked down. "I figured you wouldn't believe me and I didn't want you guys to think I was one of them."

Hayden put a hand on her shoulder. "I get it."

While Alejandra and the others kept watch, Emily and Jeremy picked up the fake officers' shotgun and rifle respectively, along with the extra ammo they were carrying. They also took their pistols - which Emily recognized as SIG Sauer P226s - and tasers. Jeremy offered the pistols to Hayden and Ava, who turned them down, so he gave them to Alejandra instead. She put one of the P226s and the 1911 in her pockets and kept the other P226 out. Emily handed Hayden and Ava the tasers, which they accepted. Realizing Evan was still unarmed, Emily grabbed one fake officer's pepper spray and gave it to him. On a whim, she checked their pockets and found they both had cell phones, so she grabbed them and gave one to Hayden before following the others outside. They looked around, and she saw a dark green minivan with both rear hubcaps missing. The house was surrounded by forest, but Ava spotted a trail and pointed it out to the others. Hearing shouting in the house, they took off running.

"I think I saw a driveway or something on the far side of the house." Evan said.

"A little late for that." Hayden pointed out.

"I didn't see it until we reached the trail."

They kept running for a while before Jeremy asked to stop for a break. While he caught his breath, Emily and Hayden checked their phones.

"Shit." Hayden mumbled, holding up her phone to show that there was no service.

"Same." Emily said.

After jogging for 20 minutes and walking for an additional 40, Ava suddenly stopped. "Guys, wait up."

They turned to look at her.

"What's up?" Evan asked.

She took a deep breath. "Do those phones have compass apps?"

Hayden shrugged. "No idea, I need the password for anything besides an emergency call."

"Mine also has a low battery." Emily added. "Why?"

"This trail is taking us in a big circle." Ava explained. "There was that one right turn a few minutes ago, but otherwise we've been curving to the left a little bit at a time."