prologue

-"yo! wake up, presidents coming!"

-
"yo! wake up, presidents coming!"

ace ito picked her head up off of the table she was laying on, to be greeted with kimiko, whose eyes seemed to hold more of a glare than they normally did. when ace passed out, there weren't this many people at the table. seeing that it was full now, she shook her head and fixed her hair to present herself better. kimiko rolled her eyes, crossed her legs and sat up. she always seemed like she was about to say something important, but really, she just wished that she had something important to say.

ace, freshly awake, realized tomiichi was at her left. strange, considering he never set next to her. she brought her attention to kirari, who entered the room with striking confidence, and sayaka in tow, who had less than half as much. every member's eyes followed them to their seats. a deafening silence sat in the room. everybody wanted to say something to cut the tension, especially kimiko, but they knew better than to speak before kirari did.

"council members, we have quite a few important things to discuss today. tomiichi, there are finances to be handled. the yen we had stored away for the housepets auction is way to low. we should raise the prices shouldn't we, chairman?"

tomiichi simply nodded in responce, taking out a notepad with a pen attached to it, and scribbling what she had said inside it. he dared not to reply to her. interrupting the president was a death sentence, and he didn't want to die just yet.

"midari? we need to talk about your revolver. you have a basement area to your dissipation. if you still get excited at the idea of me taking your life, please listen to me carefully. you are to only use your gun in the basement. understand?"

her icy blue eyes stared over at midari. the one eyed woman blushed in total embarrassment.

"anything for you, madam president!" midari spat, getting giddy at the scolding the woman had done.

"lastly, ace and kimiko? i need to talk to you both after this meeting is adjured." the silence being lifted, the members relaxed in their seats. especially after hearing that it wasn't something like another election.

well, at least not yet.

the meeting furthered to discuss recent gambles, yumeko jabami and her new earnings, the housepets of the week, and itsuki's and kaede's empty chairs in the room. as the meeting came to a close, the members went their separate ways. tomiichi quickly rose from his seat, giving ace the side eye on his way out the double doors, no one dared to ask where he was headed. midari left with yuriko, to go to the culture clubs room to prepare for a gamble. runa took yumemi in stride to total neutrality. yumemi was talking about a housepet situation with the short girl on their way out of the room.

kimiko and ace gathered their things, preparing to head home. kirari, with the utmost elegance, filled the room with the sound of her teacup hitting the wooden table. the sound reminded the girls that they had to stay after the meeting. they scurried to get into their chairs, out of respect, and kirari suddenly spoke.

"you two are the only reasonable women on this board, being that we are fairly close and that you two are almost just as strict as me when it comes to respecting the committee. that being said, i've decided to bring up an upcoming plan for the council to you ladies first."

ace straightened her posture as the president kept her gaze directed toward her the whole time. "i appreciate your kindness. what did you have in mind?"

kirari then told sayaka to place a folder on the table, which could hold aforementioned plan. "hyakkaou academy's house pets have been particularly disobedient as of late. too much talkback, and you know i do not take kindly to talkback. they're getting a sense of self back. they're forgetting who's in charge here. they're forgetting that i hold their life in a file cabinet, and letting a falsified feeling of power go to their head. i don't particularly blame them, i would do the same in that position, but it's awful. it's a pest, having to babysit the pets instead of them listening on our beck and call. so, in order to solve this problem, i propose we throw a schoolwide gambling competition."

of course she'd propose such a thing. kirari's house pets were her most prized possession. the student body has power over the house pets, the student council has power over the student body, and one woman, kirari momobami, has power over the student council.

she owns the hierarchy system and she knows it, and her house pets are her way of proving it. it's like a king and his homeless. the king knows that he can house the homeless, but alas he does not. he would rather watch his people suffer than have his power revoked.

"what kind of competition?" kimiko sighed.

kirari never looked away from ace, even when kimiko spoke. "we will hold a gambling competition to let the students climb the ranks until it's the best vs the best. obviously, the house pets will not climb far as they are awful gamblers. theres a reason they're at the bottom, and this gamble will remind them of it."

"how much will be at stake?"

"three million yen."

kimiko's whole face dropped. she almost had to pick her jaw off of the floor. ace was rather unfazed, as she knew that kirari had to have more coming than this. she was best friends with kirari; they were practically joined at the hip. she knew better than that

"what more are you putting on the table, kirari?"

calling the president by her first name in front of a council member takes guts. momobami flinched back at the sound of it. ace knew she was going to get scolded in front of the committee next time they met.

"i will offer my seat as student council president."