Chapter 1

My room fills with the song of the alarm clock. Quickly my arm sprung from under the blanket to silence the clock. I rise to sit on the bed while my feet feel the cold concrete floor. Florescent light shyly showing three pieces of furniture that lay next to the calming cream walls. Reaching over and grabbing my remote from my small bedside table, I bring the tv to life. Showing the day's schedule, it reads aloud today's announcements. "Cager Maxfield Miller, code name Rogue Viper has passed away. General Jax reports Miller had died during the last mission. Marking this the fourth death this month, which means all individuals will retake Safety classes. With a new Cager position open, there will be an announcement tomorrow declaring the new member. Remember to have a wonderful day." Robotically the announcer spoke before returning the tv to normal channels.

Dragging my feet, I reach the bathroom to begin the morning routine. I place my (h/c) hair into a ponytail, dressing in my work attire, combat boots, a Save Children Slay Monsters shirt, and black leggings.

Leaving my dorm, I march over to my friend's room. As my hand hovers about to knock, the door opens to that familiar face. Her brown hair framing her soft face, as her calming blue eyes sing with joy. Her curvy elf-like body jumps forward to give me a morning hug. "Hey, what are your thoughts on the morning announcement?" Excitedly Mia asks, holding me tightly.

"A new position opened as Cager, and I hope that I get it," I tell her while walking down the empty halls. Doors and their numbers being the only decoration. Black vinyl flooring reflecting light from small lights in the ceiling. A sea of gray covers the walls, making the cold hall feel colder.

"You will get that position. You may be dumb as a brick sometimes, but you are amazing in the obstacle courses. Plus, you could win over a boy." Mia confidently hints.

"Speaking of winning, did you see they added a new breakfast item in the cafeteria." I calmly say.

"Did they put in next to the protein or changing the subject section?" Mia sarcastically responds.

"Since the age of 6, I have always wanted to be a Cager. I don't need some guy distracting me. My life will not be some dumb love story." Respond feeling annoyed by the subject.

"There is nothing wrong with liking someone, and I know you do want to be a Cager. We have been here for over 14 years. Just let yourself have fun." Mia spoke sincerity in her words.

"Unlike you, I am not in love with one of my friends. I know Rana would think you would look sexy as Cager." Mockingly I say, the blush grow across her face.

She grows silent, trying to hide her blushing. We continue our way to the breakfast station in the corner of the cafeteria. Grabbing our trays, we craft a breakfast that a chef would approve and slide over to our favorite table. As our food starts to enter our mouths, we hear other workers crawl from their rooms, filling the cafeteria with their chatter. Filling the line and clearing out all of the food. From the crowd, two familiar faces emerge, walking towards us with food in their trays. "Sam-inator and Pro Rana, how are you going?" Joyfully I ask.

"I would be doing great, but we have to go to another dumb safety class. My death shall come from the boredom." Rana dramatically pretending to die.

"Another person died this month. You only care about a class." Sam frustratedly stuttered.

"They will get their funeral. That is where we can be sad. On a happier note, Rana what if I got that Cager position?" Mia asks sliding closer to her.

"We would celebrate in my room," Rana winks at Mia, "Honestly, I think either (Y/N) or I will get that title." Plainly Rana commented.

"Attention all employees, these announcements were supposed to be in your morning reports. However due to a level 9 system error, we shall make the announcements now. Rogue Viper's funeral will be held the hour before lunch. Class will be at 7, and are mandatory if you wish to continue working for us. Have a nice day" the robotic voice boomed, grabbing everyone's attention.

Confusion and worry spread through cafeteria. "System error, Mia and Sam both of you work in the technology department  do you know what happened." I ask my face puzzled.

"Don't look at me if there was a level 9 system error, it would be like only rank C and above. Only Mia and like 2 others are allowed in there." Sam throwing up his hands in defense.

Mia looked down pushing her food around. Our attention turns to her, waiting for some response. "Mia is something wrong." Worriedly Rana asks placing her hand on Mia's shoulder.

"It is classified information, only ranks A and B are allowed to know. Besides it is nothing bad, but oh look at the time. I should be getting to work." Mia spoke with false positivity, before taking her empty tray with her.

"She is right we should be getting to work. Sam try and make sure she is okay." Rana spoke her words soft.

With that, she walks off to the the guards quarter. Sam walks off to the robotics lab, not saying a word.

Something is wrong, I know it is but I can't worry about that now. Walking over to surveillance, I try to calm myself. It was probably just some broken communications towers. Nothing that bad. Beginning my workday, I bring my small wall of screens to life. Each camera pointing at a children's closet. I see child 829 got some new jackets for the winter. I know its weird I am used to this. It is just you get used to it after a lot of years. Child 812 left their door open, and they got into the basketball game. He never sleeps with lights on tho. Why is there a light in his closet? Focusing on this video feed, to see the light is coming from the closet. Hitting record on the feed, I study the light. A circled void of light forms in the empty space of the door. In the blink of an eye, the void grows until it lines up with the frame of the door. I see a handsome guy with soft blue hair and a muscular body studying a file.

"Mike, what the hell is agrizoophobia?" The handsome stranger whispers to a short man with green hair.

"Sully, it means they have a fear of teddy bears. So just be a dumb fluffy monster like you normally are." Mike says ripping the folder from the Sully's hands.

Wow, now I can see why people have crushes. He is hot, I wouldn't mind having security watch with him. Right, I can't just study his muscular body, or his almost purplish eyes. Even if those little horns look really hot on him.

"When you are done staring at guys, can you tell me where surveillance desk 113 is located?" Sam asked from behind me.

"Uhh, Sam what are you doing here?" I ask standing to hide the screen behind me.

"Someone called saying their screens were not..." Sam spoke his words stood still as he watched the screen I failed to block.

I look over to the screen. I got a monster on camera, but where did the guy go?  I search the screen looking through the portal. What the hell is Monsters Inc.?