Chapter 5

A gust of wind swirled off of the mountaintops. Picking up bits of snow and ice, it raced down the steep slopes and into a barren valley. It came to where Corinth Aldanassari stood and put its load upon him.

Corinth blinked. After six weeks and six days, it had come to this. He had befriended the hobbits first, both the living and undead. From there it had been a seemingly endless stream of treaties, battles and dominations. Many groups came over instantly to Corinth’s side. Only the Dark Elves resisted completely, and were mercilessly brought down. Often, his next quest was answered by asking, “Who do you fear?”

The Night Elves and Undead Dwarves had simply pointed to the mountains and said, “Them.”

Corinth had heard of these beings before. In Aldan legends, there existed a race of beings who could slaughter legions of warriors in an eyeblink. Vast in power and number, they had driven the Aldans from their land long ago. It was said that they never died, but bided their time until your guard was down. They were the beings known as the Gods.

Before Corinth there stood ten such beings, backed by a seemingly endless army. He paused for a minute. He blinked again as someone laid a hand on his elbow.

Corinth turned and saw Unsanus, his trusted adviser. Early in his adventures, he had found him rambling among the sand dunes, without any food or drink. After a few days, Unsanus had proved himself invaluable in taming the anger of the various races that formed Corinth’s alliance. Many called him Unsanus the Silvertongued.

“Let me try my humble craft, Corinth,” Unsanus spoke. “We must avoid bloodshed.”

Corinth nodded. Unsanus began to speak. “Esteemed leaders of the invincible Ten Nations, we come before you with truth and an offer. Before you stands the rightful heir of the Aldan throne, exiled by his tyrant father. We know of your history with the Aldan nation. We know of your hatred and your desire for their blood. We offer-“

“Why should we tolerate your presence, or even let you live?” The Medusa Queen hissed.

Unsanus gulped. “Your own position is precarious, oh mighty Ten Nations. These people before you were once practically your subjects. Ruled by fear and powerless in their disunity, they were before. As they are now, they speak with one voice, and they say they will not be enslaved again.”

“Cut off the head, and the snake dies,” The Medusa Queen whispered. “I wonder if it is the same with this assembly. What say you, head?”

Corinth clenched his hands together and grinned savagely. “I wouldn’t want to find out, if I were you.” Unsanus rolled his eyes.

“The only thing that will be found today-” the Queen raised her hands- “Is your grave!”

Waves of magic cascaded through the air towards Corinth. He raised his hands and formed an impenetrable magic shield. The blasts were absorbed, their energies merely adding to the strength of the shield. Corinth snapped his fingers and the shield disappeared. The Gods themselves stood aghast.

“You will find that this head will never be cut off by anyone or anything,” Corinth spoke. He snapped his hand in the direction of the gods, and lightning coursed through their bodies. All ten members of Gods’ Council was suspended in the air. Unsanus grinned maniacally, though nobody was paying attention to him. Not yet.

The Council fell to the ground. Silence, broken only by the occasional icy gust, covered both sides. The gods nervously eyed Corinth’s hands, which still flickered with magical lightning.

“I am Corinth Aldanassari. Kneel before me, or suffer the same fate as your Council.”

The Gods kneeled before him. Corinth turned and nodded to Unsanus. “Now we are ready,” he said. “It is time.”

A yellow disk, covered in runes, appeared around Corinth’s feet. It spread across the valley. Corinth knelt and brought his hand towards the center of the form. One touch, and his army would be in Aldan.

“Why go now, Corinth? There is so much you do not know.”

Corinth turned.