3

"The family was good though, well I guess they are. They can see how much I'm missing you.”
    Turner squeezed my hand and struggled to get his words out. "It hurts so much, seeing you here. The doctors say that there is a slim to none chance that you will last another month or even another week without flatlining." I could feel him shaking with those words.
    "I can't survive like this knowing that you won't wake up. I love you too much to continue this tug of war."
    As he said these words I could feel the pull of the river slowly fading away. Slowly, but I was sure that it was happening.
    "I feel like this was all my fault. If I hadn't looked at you, at you're beautiful face, for a split second you wouldn't be here. We would just be that annoying couple sharing a chocolate milkshake even though I don't like chocolate but you do so I would deal with it for your sake. Because seeing you happy makes me happy, and right now I'm not happy."
    I could almost sense where he was heading with this. Suddenly, thoughts and memories flashed in my head. His words reminding me of what had happened.
    We were headed towards home, our shared apartment, the one we bought when we were young and innocent to all the evils that would surround us as we entered adulthood. I had attached the AUX cord to my phone and played 'Hold Back The River' as we drove alongside the river that held our fate. As James Bay sang the chorus of that damned song a tree branch fell in the way of the road, causing Turner to spin out of control and put us into the river.
    All I remember next was the feeling of the air in my lungs leaving me and darkness fading in fast as a pair of arms wrapped themselves around my unconscious body.
    The rest is blurry because as soon as Turner saved me I lost myself behind the river in my mind.
    The river that was going away. I knew I was going to wake up, even if Turner didn't think so. I couldn't leave him. Never.