Lonely Together

Lonely Together

Levi was up late, since he was having trouble sleeping, the faces of his dead squad members were always haunting him at night. He walks by Hanji's room...and opens the door to check if she is awake or not…he sees her asleep at her desk

Levi opens Hanji's door and peers into the small messy room...books and clothes are scattered across the floor, and a not so surprising sight...Hanji who is fast asleep at her desk, face down surrounded by notes and paperwork. No doubt she was up all night finishing reports for Erwin. Levi sighs and quietly walks over to where she is at her desk and gently takes off her glasses, careful not to wake her, he folds them and puts them on her bedside table.

Levi makes his way back to her and crouches down beside her sleeping face, he then realizes she is crying and mumbling in her sleep- "Levi…Please...no" She cries out. A look of concern flashes across his face- Another nightmare...Its the fourth one this week. Levi begins to brush her tears away and tuck the loose strands of hair behind her ears. She really is so fragile … His hand brushes hers and he whispers quietly "It's okay Zoë i'm here… I have you." Words that weirdly enough eased his nerves, although it was meant to comfort her.

Hanji stirs and her eyes begin to flutter and slowly open "L-Levi?" she stutters in a groggy confused voice…He looks into her sad and sleepy brown eyes "You were having a nightmare, I came in to check-" Hanji's eyes are puffy from the tears and dark from lack of sleep, her hair is tangled and sticks to her tear stained face. The sight of her in such a sad state sends pains though his chest. Hanji's eyes well up with tears when she sees the pained look on his face, she couldn't bare to see it she hides her face and crashes into him burring her face in the crook of his neck, muffling the sounds of her sobs. "Hanji..." he says softly as he wraps his arms around her.

Levi stays there on the messy floor with Hanji curled up in his arms, after sometime Hanji speaks "I don't know what I would do without you…Please just never leave me. I need you Levi" Levi holds her tighter and whispers in her ear "I won't leave you- I can't leave you ...because I need you." Their eyes meet for a split second, and he pulls her into his chest.

She felt at peace like her worries had suddenly slipped away. "I Love you too" Hanji whispers in a hushed sleepy tone. A tired smile touched Levi's lips- She always knew how to decode the words he could never say himself. After sometime Hanji fell asleep in his arms, Levi lightly kissed her forehead, and got to his feet with her still sleeping in his arms and carried her to bed. Levi fell asleep to the sound of Hanji's even breathing next to him, somehow he knew his nightmares that kept him up earlier that night would not come back, not while she was here beside him. Both Hanji and Levi fell into a dreamless deep sleep, where for just a while they didn't feel lonely, or maybe it was just comforting to know that they could feel lonely together.