Pop!

My summer vacation was dull, I was stuck trying to figure out what to do with the rest of it. Being a homebody, I was left to my own devices, pondering how I should spend the rest of my day. It was a perfectly good waste of time. I never truly fully appreciated nature and all of its rainless days.

And the main reason for this was the gruesome crimes taking place around me. The neighborhood that once flourished with children playing in its streets, was now practically deserted. The police had gone around the neighborhood, warning us to stay inside until the criminal was caught. This was to keep the kids safe from being lured in.

I remember the first case, the sound of police sirens flooded my ears in the dead of night. There had been a commotion across the street. I peered outside my window, lifting the binds carefully, I saw a woman covered in blood. Her hands were cuffed as two policemen carted her out of the home. She looked battered and worn down as she screamed and sobbed hysterically. I couldn't fully make out what she was shouting, but from the looks of it, she was pleading with them.

I knew who she was. Her name was Jacinda, a very polite woman who lived with her seven-year-old son Ryan. My heart quickly raced when I saw another person push out a gurney. On it was a small figure in a plastic black bag. It didn't take a genius to put the pieces together. My stomach retched with anxious racing thoughts as I knew I would never feel safe in this town again.

The news had reported it as a homicide and that was the end of it, or so I thought. It took everything within me to not turn on the tv and see that another supposed homicide had taken place. More children found dead by the same occurrence was too bizarre. I took it upon myself to be overbearingly overprotective of Jason, my younger brother. Much to his dismay, I had him under a careful watch around the clock.

"Jeez, sis relax I'm just eating cereal" He chuckled as he stuffed his mouth with his breakfast. Jason was in his blue buttoned-up uniform, he was oddly aware of his age. As much as I wished for him to act like a child, he had grown up. Though I understood why, after the death of mom and dad our lives were never the same.

I ruffled his hair with a playfully rough pat, "I know," I carefully shifted the tone of my voice," Listen, if anything happens at school, please call me" I said as I took the cell phone and pressed it into his hand. I didn't enjoy how my constant worrying must have made him feel, death just seemed to spread all around our lives and I just couldn't risk it.

With a simple and reassuringly sweet smile, Jason nodded. He was an angel that deserved a better life. "I got it, sis, don't worry" He quickly kissed my cheek and hurriedly ran out as the sound of blaring horns rushed him out the door. "Stay safe! Have a good day at school!" I shouted. I watched as his small frame jostled on his navy backpack, running towards the bus. I silently prayed that he would be safe.

I also had classes to attend and a job to maintain. It was fairly difficult to balance the two, but it was something that had to be done. Anything to save up and move out of this town. Even with worrying hectic schedules, I hurriedly put on my uniform and locked up. It took three to four jostles on the doorknob to satisfy my overwhelming anxiety. With that daily ritual completed, I got into my car and made my way to work, playing my favorite song on the radio to drown out my nervousness. Who would've ever thought that things would go wrong?

"Hey y/n, how are you holding up?" I felt a warm hand on my shoulder. It was Bonnie, my coworker, and a friend from school. If it weren't for her, I would have never gotten this job. "Just trying not to freak out with all this going around" I slumped as I wiped down the counter resignedly.

"Hey, I know, but just know that I'm here for you" She was a sweet friend to have, the kind that would never leave you alone when things go bad. I was grateful she had decided to talk to me all those years ago. I was usually the type of person to internalize things and avoid any form of interaction, while she was just a ray of sunshine. "Thanks" I smiled sincerely after a long time of worrying. Quickly changing topics, Bonnie pointed to a guy sitting near the window, "Check out the hottie" her lips curled into a suggestive smile.

Pushing her away playfully, I chuckled, "I don't have time for that" My eyes fixed on the marble counter, "Especially not now"

I felt her elbow me, "Oh come on, it would do you some good to get out" She must've seen my frown and changed her tone, "I know you got a lot to deal with, but don't let life pass you by"

My eyes went to the man sipping his coffee, he was quite handsome. But there were too many variables to manage currently, my mind was solely concerned with Jason. Bonnie quickly took hold of my hand, "How about I make you something special?" she reassured me. She was the barista of her uncle's shop and had a talent for making cute coffee art. "You sure it's okay with your uncle?" I shyly asked not wanting to burden her with any trouble. "It's perfectly fine" she beamed, "It's on the house"

She placed the work of art in front of me after taking the time to carefully crafting it. She had made me a beautiful cup of coffee with my favorite character on it. I felt horrible messing it up after taking pictures of it. 

After a long day at work, taking countless orders for people whose names I never got right, I got my things back from my locker. It didn't take long for me to dial-up Jason, he should've been home by now. I didn't like the fact that he arrived before me, so I made the bus driver keep watch on him until he was safely inside.

"Hey, bud how's everything?" My voice laced with concern. To my relief, he was perfectly fine and from the sound of it munching on something. "Just finished my homework," he said lazily. Jason had always had quite the appetite, especially with that sweet tooth of his. "What are you eating?" I asked fully aware of the answer. "Oh, some candy I got from a friend" he relented. I was awfully glad to hear that he was making friends in school, since the accident he had lost all eagerness to make any. It was refreshing to hear that he was perking up. He was too young to even remember our parents, but I knew that he was still affected by it. "That's awesome! Tell me more about it when I get home, okay?"

With my mind finally, at ease, I waved Bonnie a chipper goodbye and made my way to my car. As I was driving, everything around me seemed slightly brighter. Things were looking up for us, now all we had to do was make sure they stayed that way.