Chapter 19: Drogo's Crazy Idea

"Why didn't you like Miss Harrison?"

Nicolae and Drogo were sitting in the family den, with Lorie across from them.  Drogo was scowling.  His sister had just rejected yet another of the five candidates he had selected, and he demanded a good reason for it.  Lorie watched him stone-cold.  She shrugged her shoulders.

"I just didn't," she replied.  "She didn't strike me as a good nanny."

Drogo narrowed his eyes.  Miss Eudora Harrison was twenty-one years old and quite pretty, with creamy white skin and pale blonde hair.  She did appear a bit unrefined... but perhaps she was just nervous.  After all, she came from a very small town — even smaller than Mystery Spell, and had never been around such luxury before.  She stared at everything inside Bartholy Manor with her large, innocent blue eyes, and exclaimed "Oh, my," quite often, making Lorie roll her eyes each time.  Still... Drogo liked her buoyant personality and the way she quickly covered her mouth with her hand when she felt she misspoke.  He was therefore very put off at the moment... and didn't hide his displeasure.

"How could you tell all that from a half-hour interview?"  Drogo asked Lorie.

"It's a gut feeling I had," Lorie replied, not intimidated in the least bit by her brother's menacing expression.

"So Miss Harrison is a 'no'."  Nicolae crossed her name off the list of the top ten applicants.  She joined Miss Pendleton, Miss LeHavre, Miss Klauss, Miss Sanders, Miss Crowley and Miss Jones.

"Lorie," Drogo exclaimed.  "You've rejected seven candidates... there are only three left on our list!"  He ran both of his hands through his blonde hair, exasperated.

Lorie started to casually twirl one of her locks around a finger, looking thoroughly bored.

"So what?  I didn't like any of them.  Papa said I was in charge of making the final decision, didn't he?"  She stared at Drogo insolently.

"Lorie's right," Nicolae sighed resignedly.  "Father insisted she like the woman we hire."

"Well... Father's not here," Drogo raised his voice.  "And, in case you forgot, he won't be back for at least a couple of months!"

Viktor had sailed for Europe the previous week.  Before leaving, he informed his family that he planned to stay there until the middle of October... perhaps even longer.  During his absence, he left Nicolae in charge of the household and the bank... as usual.  He also instructed him to find a suitable nanny for Lorie as quickly as possible.  Knowing that Nicolae would be busy at work and that Peter was constantly involved in his music, Viktor was worried that Lorie would end up spending too much time with Drogo — and that he'd have a bad influence on her.  Of course, he didn't openly state his concerns, but only emphasized that finding a nanny was a top priority.  The Bartholy sons were starting to agree with their father.

"Don't yell at me," Lorie pouted.  "I don't feel like interviewing anybody else right now!  I'm tired and I want to go play!"

Drogo threw his sister a murderous look and got up.  But before he could take a step toward her, Nicolae was on his feet, holding him back.

"Perhaps we all need a break, Drogo," Nicolae warned him.  "You're way too wired.  Why don't you go out for a run in the woods?  Some fresh air would do you good."

Lorie watched their interaction with an amused look on her face.  She smirked at Drogo's distress, making him seethe inside.

"Fine," Drogo pulled his arm out of Nicolae's grasp.  "But I'm warning you," he addressed his sister, "... you better start cooperating with us."