Chapter 2: This is how it begins.

Just moments passed, but they felt like centuries to Wilbur as he racked his brain for any logical explanation. He always ensured the room was locked when he and Tommy were away. His key was on him at all times, and it was the only one. Nobody else, not even Lynn had access to this room.
And as he hesitated, the softest creak of a floorboard sounded.
Somebody was still inside.

His hand hovering on the handle, he felt the dull thud of his heart begin to reverberate in his head. Then, in one swift motion, he flung the door wide open, left hand on the knife at his belt.

 The darkness was deceptive for a moment, but as the dust began to settle, the faintest humanoid outline slowly shifted from the shadows, turning leisurely to face him. As his eyes met with those of the intruder, there was a moment of silent tension.

And then they both spoke simultaneously.

"You've got to be kidding me".

Standing before him was a familiar figure- albeit a slightly older version than Wilbur was accustomed to. The lanky Beornen man wore a smart white shirt beneath the fitted red jacket of the crown's guard, lined with gold trim. A white sash was tied around his waist, sitting just above a slightly dirtied pair of black trousers, tucked into metal plated boots. At his hip, an ornate silver rapier rested, sheathed. Perhaps the most notable aspect of the young man was his face- while most Beornen take the form of some kind of furred or feathered creature, this particular one, rather unusually, had the head of a pig.

His deep red eyes watched the half-elf attentively.
"You know, stare any longer and I'll have to start charging you". The recognizable deep voice broke the silence, tinged with sarcasm as always.

"Techno, I-" Wilbur searched his mind for the right thing to say. He had so many questions swirling around in his head. How did you get in here? Where have you been all this time? Why didn't you contact me?
Yet when he spoke, all that came out was;

"It's so good to see you, old friend."

Techno gave a small chuckle, stepping backwards to sit on the threadbare bed. "Well, I wish it was under better circumstances - but yes, It's good to see you too, Wilbur. Or should I say 'the phantom of Avren?'" He raised an eyebrow.

Will laughed, cringing slightly at how hollow it sounded. "Yes, I suppose you could say that".

Techno leaned back. "What's up with that anyway? You aren't even a Phantom, you're a Mesmer"

"It's a figure of speech" Wilbur sighed.

"It's false advertising, that's what it is". The Beornen's tone was light-hearted, but Wilbur could read his face- it spoke of stress and exhaustion.

There was a pause.

"I suppose you're here to arrest me then?" Wilbur laughed, unable to disguise the slight wobble of apprehension in his voice.

"Oh, right" Techno waved his hand dismissively. "Nah. If I was I'd have done it already."
He leaned to the side, reaching into one of his jacket pockets. Retrieving a folded piece of paper, sealed with red wax, he handed it to Wilbur. "Apparently they decided the best use for me two weeks before my promotion was as an errand boy".

Taking the letter, Wilbur examined it closely. "Head guard, eh?" He mumbled, distracted. "Pretty impressive, man."

"Eh" Techno shrugged, feigning indifference. "Outside of me and Deo, the current guards are fairly incompetent. I mean, they let you of all people become the most prolific thief in this city."

Ignoring the jab, Wilbur frowned. "This isn't the castle seal." He glanced up. "This is the king's".

"Yep. It's an invitation. To dinner. Tonight."

Wilbur snorted. "And I suppose it's common practice for the King himself to sit down to dinner with criminals?".

A more solemn expression clouded Techno's face. "He's extended this invitation to several people, not just you, Wilbur. I think this may be something serious- I'll be there too." He clearly read Wilbur's suspicious expression, because his tone shifted slightly. "Either way. You will see me again. Although I warn you it's likely to be on less friendly terms should you not show up tonight."

"Are you threatening me, Techno?"

"Hey" Techno held his hands up in mock surrender. "I'm just being honest. As far as I see it, no matter what this is about, it's a great chance for you to make amends. But if I'm ordered to come after you for real, there's not much of a choice there for me".

Wilbur rolled his eyes, stowing the sealed letter away. "Well that's good to know and all, but it doesn't matter either way. I have plans for tonight."

Techno shrugged, standing up. "Suit yourself. I should be heading back now anyhow." He made a move towards the door, his footsteps heavy on the uncarpeted floor. Wilbur backed out of the way instinctively, but spoke up once more as he passed.

"Say... just hypothetically. What if I did come to this obvious setup? Who else is going to be there?"

The Beornen gave a small smile. "Wish I knew. Apparently, the rest of our guests aren't quite as elusive as you and can receive mail like... y'know, functioning members of society."

Will gave him a playful punch on the arm as he strolled out through the doorway. Just as he stepped into the corridor, Techno turned one last time.

"Oh, say hi to your brother for me, will you?".

He walked down the hallway, and out of sight.