chapter one: acceptance

pov: misty sterling

chapter one:

It was a warm sunny evening when an abnormally large owl flew in through our living room window, which was propped open with a stack of books allowing a cool gust of air in.

"Bloody hell! Magnolia! There's an owl in the foyer!" My father, Clay Sterling, shouted outto my mother, Magnolia Sterling.

"A what now? Get it out!" Mum yelled back.

"There's something attached to it's leg, hold on, it could be in danger!"

My father always had a thing for animals, it was like he was a whisperer! I watched as he gently held the owl in his large hands, steadying the animal while untying string from it's leg.

"Clay, there's a letter attached? Do you have any idea what this could be?" Mother said.

At that, my father froze, his blood running cold.

"No, no idea. Let me open this," He said, his voice shaky and his pupils abnormally small.

He swiftly grabbed the envelope from the owl's leg, undoing the seal. He pulled out a folded piece of parchment, which was followed by a series of cards and stickers.

"What's that, father?" I asked. I was leaning against the railing of our staircase.

"Hold on dear, let me get my glasses," Father replied, walking upstairs and disappearing into his and my mother's bedroom, then walking back out, glasses being held between his shaky fingers. He descended down the stairs and went back to his armchair.

"Hogwarts: School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, 'You have been accepted!'" My father spoke.

"What is that? Is it for me? Or for Skyler?" I asked. Skyler is my 10 year old brother. I'm 11.

"It appears that this is..." My father hesitated. "This is for you, Misty,"

I stared at him in shock. Witchcraft and wizardry? What does that even mean?

"But father I am not a witch!"

"I have something to tell everyone,"

"Clay what is this about?" Mum asked, her voice clear with concern and confusion.

"I suppose it's time you all know... my mother is a witch, and my father is a wizard,"

"Grandmother and grandfather? They are... Wizards?" I asked, my eyes wide open.

"Yes dear. When they had me, they expected me to be a brilliant wizard, since mum and dad we're the best wizards of their time. When I was about your age, I expected to get a letter, just like this, for my acceptance at Hogwarts. I never got one. I'm a squib,"

At this point, my mother and I's eyes were wide open, and our mouths were parted.

"Does that mean, I'm a witch?" I asked.

"Yes Misty, you are a witch. Me and your mother are what they call muggles," He responded. Sadness in his eyes. "When I was younger, since your Grandparents are well known wizards, I was, well, bullied. For being a squib. They thought I was gonna grow up to be like my parents... Powerful, pureblooded, and an overall great wizard. But now I am despised in the Wizarding world for being a Squib, and ruining our bloodline. I was forced to live here, in the muggle world, with my aunt and uncle, while my parents were ridiculed back home. They then had your aunt, Gemma, she was not a squib, and now she's a respectable witch. Unlike me, pretty much a muggle. I didn't expect for you to become a witch, in all honesty, I thought you were going to stay a muggle,"