Chapter 1

It was a pleasant afternoon. Bright and sunny A good time to do laundry. The woman thought as she sat nervously in the almost white room.

There was something odd with her for the last two weeks. The food tasted slightly different and she was more exhausted by activities which were simple to her before. Her friend had suggested her to go to a doctor since she rarely got sick. She had even recommended her older sister's clinic.

Isn't this taking way too long? Are check-ups supposed to be this long? She wondered. What if there is something wrong with me? She shook her head. No way.

Suddenly, she heard footsteps outside the door. A middle aged woman walked in with a serious expression.

"Miss Shirota Hanae, the results of all the tests have came back. Don't worry, your health is fine."

The doctor sighed and sat down on her chair. "But something else has showed up in one of the test results"

Hanae looked at her with a confused expression, urging her to continue.

"Miss Shirota, you are pregnant"

Hanae froze. Everything was suddenly quiet. Even the clock ticking nearby went silent. I am ....... No, did I mishear?

"Miss Shirota, please calm down" the woman said as she gently placed a hand on her shoulder.

"I understand that you are shocked. But please don't panic." her expression softened even more "I usually don't say this but you are an unmarried woman who lives alone, right? So you need to think about this carefully. Raising a child is difficult and it will have a long lasting impact on your life"

"You need to discuss this with your partner. Are you both ready for such a commitment? No one would blame you if you decide that you can't."

The doctor smiled gently "Do you want me to call my sister? She can drop you off at your home. You two are close, maybe talking to her would make you feel better."

"Thank you" Hanae said with a polite smile, still in daze from the news.

"But please make a decision as soon as you can. We don't know how long you have been pregnant. Just call me directly, I will get you a good doctor according to your situation." the woman said as she offered her a card.

Hanae nodded and thanked her again.

.....

Hanae collapsed on the couch as soon as she returned home.

She was still in shock. Her friend had heard about the situation from her sister. She even bought her favourite food and told her to call her when she felt comfortable enough to talk.

I feel bad for not talking to Ichika throughout the ride. She sighed. But I need some time to process this first.

A part of her still refused to believe this. She was pregnant. Why now? We already broke up last week. No even if we were together, we were not ready for a child.

But this is our child. She touched her stomach with a fond expression. A child with the person I love. A tiny human being that resembles both of us.

She sat up with a confident smile. I will keep this child. I want to give them a happy life. I will figure something out!

But what about him? Her smile turned into a frown. He told me not to contact him anymore. How would he react to this?