Chapter One

“Over there,” Melise whispered, pointing towards the shadowy figure of the vampire in front of them. “By the lake.”

Fallon nodded as she observed the vampire. Her and Melise stood up slightly from their crouch behind the bush and put their plan into motion. Melise had her hand wrapped around her teal coloured taser with the white bow stuck onto it, whilst Fallon had hers around a small vile of holy water just in case things got too out of hand.

“Caesar,” Fallon called out to the vampire. “You are under arrest by the BPTA. Please remain calm whilst we handcuff you and take you to the Centre. You do not have to say anything, but anything you do say-”

“-save me the speech, little girls. I've heard it all before.” His lips curled into a smile.

Fallon tucked the vile of holy water into her pocket and pulled the handcuffs off her belt. She went to handcuff Caesar, but he swiftly moved his fist around, knocking Fallon to the ground. Melise quickly looked at her friend who was breathing but not moving.

She charged up her taser and rammed it into the vampire's stomach, sending him toppling backwards and into the mud beside the lake. “I hope you know that attacking an agent of the BPTA will increase your sentence by at least ten years.”

Caesar scoffed. “Stupid brats. Shouldn't you be in school?”

“Field training,” Melise smiled as she sauntered over to the vampire who was covered in mud. She made sure he stayed down by pressing down on his chest with her heavy boot. “I'd say I was pretty good at it, wouldn't you?”

Back at the Centre, Melise let the professionals sort out the paperwork and send Caesar into containment. She walked through various corridors and found the infirmary where Fallon was recovering from being punched by the vampire. She was talking to one of their defence teachers, Mr Atherton. He stood up and straightened his bright yellow tie as he greeted Melise.

“Good job out there on the field today.”

 “Thank you, sir.”

“Fallon suffered a bad knock to the head, but she's feeling much better now. You can take her back to your dorm room, make sure she gets some rest.”

“Okay sir.”

Mr Atherton nodded and left the two girls alone. The infirmary was a big place, lots of beds in lots of different rooms that all looked that same; faded white walls and floors, wooden bed frames and pale blue duvet covers.

"I suppose we should get back to our dorm then. We've got that test tomorrow in Plantology that I haven't revised for enough." Fallon sighed as she played with the ends of her golden hair.

"Yeah okay.. come on then." Melise put an arm around Fallon and they walked out of the infirmary together. A werewolf nurse said goodbye as she changed the sheets on Fallon's now empty bed.

The British Paranormal Tracking Agency (BPTA) employed some paranormal creatures to do jobs such as teaching and nursing. They always wore trackers so if they went rogue, they would either be killed or an agent would bring them to a containment unit.

"Sorry about messing up today."

"No need to apologise." Melise smiled, knowing Fallon was better at the theory of paranormals as opposed to fieldwork.

"Still," she sighed. "I don't think I'm ready for vampires. I should just go back to catching goblins."

"That might be best for you.. but I need a partner, you make missions so much more enjoyable!"

"Thanks I guess." Fallon muttered. She spotted Sylvia chatting to a teacher with a nervous look on her face. They wondered over to them.

Sylvia Black was a tame werewolf whose parents were sent into containment when she was just seven, she hadn't yet fully developed her werewolf self so was raised by employees of the BPTA to help track down other werewolves.

"And you're sure he's okay?" Sylvia asked the teacher, Miss Weston.

"Yes, yes. I promise we and the nurses are doing everything we can."

"Is everything alright?" Melise asked, joining mid-conversation.

Sylvia bit her lip and looked at the teacher for support.

"Yes," Miss Weston said. "Now you might want to get back to your dorm. Doctor Vine wants to see both of you getting 70% on the Plantology test tomorrow."

"Fine."

"You know you can talk to us whenever you feel like it." Fallon gave Sylvia a smile, which she returned with her thin maroon lips.

Sylvia didn't have many friends since a lot of the young agents didn't agree with having paranormals help out. They said that the paranormals cannot suppress their natural instincts, so they deserve to be contained or at least tracked from a young age.