Chapter 1 [Sung-Ho]

I found myself laying on the bloodstained ground, my body attempting to cling towards life as my eyes struggle to keep open. My body refused to acknowledge my commands as it lay there all mangled like food for the wolves. The hour of the reaper approached as the area grew dim but I was not ready. As I attempt to cling onto whatever life remains and what strength I have left, I stare into the deep dark abyss as my eyes widen. Growling before me was the visage of a great black wolf, his eyes as deep as spilled blood. It's large and sharp teeth lay bare for all to see as it stares right at my eyes. I can do nothing but shake as it mocks me, laughing at my own downfall.

"Your life has now been claimed as forfeit. Now, you will meet your maker as the worm you are. How pitiful you are, son of man. This is farewell. May your soul lay to rest . . . fallen prince."

It's jaws opened wider as it suddenly came clamping down on me before everything went dark. My eyes awaken as I find myself on my bed. Sweat pours down my brow as I gasp for breath. It was all a dream yet it felt so vivid, so real. Shaking my head, I decide to forget all about it. After all, it was just a dream but our Shamans and Elders always told us about the importance of dreams. Little did I know that that dream was a sign of what was to come. I am Sung-Ho Taejong, the prince and son of Emperor Jeong-Eun Taejong. We reside within the province of Ja-Seong, a powerful country residing within the East. It is a beautiful country especially my home and birth, the capital of Ja-Seong, Taewang. Surrounded by large stone walls, each divided by guard towers, the capital city has remained the crown jewel of the East since it's very founding.

My whole life I was taught to accept the world and everything it stood for. That everything simply fell into place; the world split by hierarchy and order. There are those born blessed and those who aren't. Nobles and peasants along with everything in between. When I was a child, I envisioned myself placed within the hierarchical plane as the destined one. Father often lauded me as his proud son, one who will no doubt grow to be a strong and deep-willed emperor.

My father is a rather headstrong sort of man. Tall, burly, green eyes, father had the makings of a military general, especially with his braided back black hair. Many who see him best describe him as a somewhat intimidating man. Perhaps it was his brow that furrowed whenever he spoke or his sharp tongue. Most tell of his large stature, fit like a true warrior. Personally, I think it was his gaze that struck fear towards those he spoke with. There was always something about the way his eyes simply stared right at you; they felt as bitter and cold as the northern winds. Even now I recall those very same chills I often got whenever we had our small exchanges.

Yet I never let that cloud my mind with fear and hesitation whenever I saw him. He was my father, one who loved his son and wished only nothing but the best for him. Though much of my life I usually only ever saw him during family dinner due to how busy the man is by the day. I often tell of other noble children who grew up with personal tutors and harsh schedules. Their little heads are filled with ideas of social grace and dignity. That they are higher than peasants and must act as such for they are of noble blood. I never had such tutors growing up. Instead, it was my uncle who taught me everything that I needed to know.

He and my father were the sort of brotherly pair that grew up unhinged from the general ties of common noble behavior. If my father was the strong, rash, abrasive giant then he was the intelligent, calm, and meager scholar. They often snuck out towards the city and explore what much it offered. To them, what they saw out there was far more valuable than whatever they were taught in those stuffy little "lecture rooms." The two were inseparable, moreso friends than actual siblings. With my father growing up to be the revered, and feared, Emperor, my uncle took the path of a scholar. Often I took great interest in what he had to say during our lectures. His weren't the sort to have me tapping my fingers on the desk or looking out at the window incessantly. They actually drew my attention when most talks I hear all around me felt like nothing but idle dribble. He spoke of philosophy, dialectics, business, and history beyond our own. Once he told me something that I'd instill in my head for the rest of my life.

"It's a pity that the change your father attempts amounts to so little these days."

I remember that the most because of the way he looked at me. His eyes weren't directed to me at all. Rather, they seemed to stare towards one of the small windows in our study. At the time, I still had no idea of the world around me.

Once, he took me outside of the upper district and towards the lower district, the commoner's area. It certainly was far different than how I had envisioned it. As the sun beat upon my face and the smell of burnt incense invaded my sense of smell, I felt as if I had walked into a glass jar mixed with whatever building and people you could jam into it. Most housing and stores were of fair quality though the roads were missing the usual stone pavements I was used to. The marketplace was chocked full of peasants trying to get their share of produce and fabrics. It felt like a group of cattle going for the same feed in the pen. My Uncle told me that the people here live honest lives and are fair but endure exhausting work to have food on the table. When he asked me what I thought I told him that it had more charm than the upper district. He gave a small smile when I said that.Beyond my uncle's tutelage, I was also instructed on the basics of combat by numerous drill instructors. It was common for most nobles of our Kingdom to learn how to wield basic weapons. Most claim that self-defense is important for any and all Nobles, especially those that may attract unwanted attention. However this seems to be a skill that few continue to practice towards adulthood. It was as my uncle told me: ignorance tends to be the downfall of the foolish. Thankfully I was not among such a group of individuals. Instead, I honed my skills to the point where I was confident that I could best just about any Noble that dared to duel me in silly squabbles of honor. However I really couldn't care any less about these pointless duels to begin with. I figured the rest of my life was as exactly as I anticipated: with me as Emperor I would lead our nation into the same prosperity as my father and other fathers before him once did. Little did I know the burden of responsibility would fall on my shoulders sooner than I thought.