°°°4°°°

I decided to pass the time by calling Abigail.

"How is it? Is it nice? It should be because isn't he like the richest man in the north?" I had never heard my best friend so excited. Didn't she know I was being held against my will?

"Chill, Abba, chill." I had called her Abba ever since fourth grade when I walked in on her singing "Super Trooper" by ABBA. "His house is huge, like fourteen times bigger than mine. He owns ninety-six antique cars. Everything is white, black, cream, amethyst, sapphire, diamond, or crystal. And my room is more incredible than you could imagine. It's like a living room, kitchen, and bedroom all in one!"

"You've got to be joking. Have you...have you seen him yet?" I got really excited when she asked this.

"Yes! And, oh Abba, he's so hot! I'm having dinner with him tonight and I don't know how he has any women employees." That was when I realized something. "Actually, I think all of the employees are men..."

My best friend laughed.

"It sounds amazing. I'm so happy for you! By the way, when's the wedding?"

"...I don't know." I replied. "Probably in a few weeks. Are you coming?"

"I don't know. I'm only eighteen and who knows if I'll be aloud to drive that far."

"Well don't feel glum. I'm only seventeen..." We both laughed. It was true. My birthday wasn't for four more days. I jumped as a knock sounded  at my door. Before I could answer, though, I lost my breath as Rome walked in uninvited.

"I just came to remind you to wear something nice. We have company." He sounded impatient. He was so rude. Had time really gone that fast?

Abigail gasped loudly on the other end, and I knew she had heard his voice.

"All right. One moment." Saying a quick goodbye to my friend, I watched as the man who was soon to be my husband left my room. It was only then I remembered that I was told not to bring any of my clothes from home. Did they provide some nicer ones for me?

Making my way to my huge closet, I nearly fainted when I saw what took residency inside. Rows and rows of shoes lined two of the walls, and they all were my exact size. On another wall were three rows of dresses; sun dresses, Sunday dresses, any kind of dress you could think of. On the last wall were shirts like you wouldn't believe. Everything was blinged out and expensive.

I couldn't believe I hadn't checked this out before. Choosing a scarlet dress just past my knees, I went to the vanity beside a giant mirror framed with legit diamonds. A jewelry box sat atop the vanity, and I was nervous to see what was inside. Everything was diamond. Earrings, necklaces, bracelets, rings, everything.

I chose some simple neck-wear and crimson earrings. Then, I twisted some of my hair back, letting the rest of the dark curls cascade down my back. Putting on some black heels, I turned to the mirror for the last detail...lipstick. Lipstick is always the last to be put on because it's what ties a girl together.

Looking in the mirror, I was pleased. For the first time I my life, I didn't feel plain. I actually felt like I could be beautiful.

I startled at a knock on my door. Softly summoning for them to come in, I was even more startled to see Rome, and he looked so hot.

"Let's go. They're already seated." His voice was impatient and I wanted to smack him. He looked me up and down several times, and I thought I could sense approval in his beautiful eyes.

Carefully putting my small hand in the crook of his arm, he led me down the extravagant straightaway to the dining area. I was surprised to see three others seated at one end of the table. An older man, a woman I assumed to be his wife, and the most gorgeous girl about a year older than me with golden hair and brown eyes. I instantly didn't like her.

"Oh! You must me Sayler! We have heard so much about you!" The one I thought was the mother leaped up and embraced me. "You're as beautiful as we had heard. I'm Cozzetta Roverell. This is my husband Gregorick, and my daughter Ameliana." She looked at me expectantly.

"Thank you." My accented voice was soft. "It's a pleasure to meet you all." Cozzetta seemed sincere, but her family was obviously not impressed. Ameliana had pure hatred in her eyes, and her father was glaring at me.

Clearing his throat, Rome helped me into my seat.

"So, how did you two meet?" Ameliana asked, her voice dripping with sarcastic sweetness. I didn't know what to say. Should I tell the truth or lie? Thankfully, Rome came to my rescue.

"We met at a ball her parents held." It was a simple excuse, but Ameliana seemed to loathfully buy it.

Dinner went by slowly with Ameliana asking stupid questions, possibly just to hear Rome's voice. He never gave her much to work with, though.

When dinner was over, I went straight to bed. I was exhausted from the snooty girl.

The next day when I awoke, Rome was just leaving. Fortrude told me he had some business to attend to and that he'd be back the day of the wedding. The date had been set, two weeks from today.

I didn't know Mr. Carlisle, but from what I had seen, he was not a very happy man. He put on a good show with the Roverells, but when it was just us, he didn't really pay me much attention.

Abigail had been told the date, but couldn't come. My parents weren't even coming! The richest and most famous guy around was getting married, and no one was coming. Actually I bet the world was coming. It was going to be huge.