Chapter 4

It's been a few days since your encounter with the tree serpent. You managed to fined a river and are now following it down stream, as conveniently enough down stream is in the direction of the sun set. Your journey has been interrupted every now and then by some monsters, most commonly by some creatures that are a hybrid of a bear and bore. But they were killed with relative ease, even when more then one showed up it was still easy with Fenrir helping out.

You were following the river when something caught your attention. Out of the corner of your eye you saw something shine, and being interested in what could shine in a forest you went to investigate. Getting closer to the object you took out your sword in case it's a trap.

Pushing a bush to the side you see what was shining. It's the corps of what you presume to have been a knight. His armor was torn apart, littering the ground with scrap. Only a skeleton remained so the body was very old, or something ate him to the bone. He still held his sword in his hand, and you grabbed in to inspect it, wanting to know more of the type of weapons in this world.

As you grabbed the sword and lifted it, the skeletons free hand grabbed your shoulder. You immediately let go of the skeletons sword and showed it off of yourself. Taking a few steps back to make some distance between you and your enemy, the skeleton stands up. As you were thinking on how to handle a skeleton a ball of fire hits it, setting it ablaze. The skeleton continued walking for a few more steps before falling down, the skeleton turning to ash, leaving only the armor and equipment it had.

Looking in the direction where the fire ball came from you see Fenrir walking up to you with smoke coming from his mouth. He stops next to you and lowers his head, you pet his head for a job well done. After half a minute of petting Fenrir you turn your attention to the remains in front of you.

Kneeling down you inspect the remains for anything useful. First grabbing the sword and inspecting it. Deciding to test its durability out you grab it with bought hands and start to apply pressure. Immediately it snapped in two, surprising you. Looking closer at it you notice that it's made out of iron. Something you didn't expect with how well made the blade looked. And it was rather poorly processed iron at that. Grabbing some of the remaining armor you notice that it's made from the same quality iron. Dropping the armor you notice a pouch. Looking inside you see some broken glass bottles and a small bag with coins inside. The coins were mostly silver but there are some gold ones in there too. You strap the bag to your waist and stand up, not finding anything else that could be useful.

Petting Fenrir again you made your way to the river, continuing on with the knowledge that you were soon to exit the forest.

Time skip: One day

You were following the river like usual, more relaxed then normal seeing as the closer to the exit you came the lese and the weaker the monsters got. While looking around you heard something in the distance. Something that sounded a lot like laughter. Turning your head to look at Fenrir his ears were perked up as he was looking in the direction of where the laughter came from.

"Lets go see what's making that noise." you said petting the giant wolfs leg.

You bought started to sneak through the forest, with Fenrir keeping low to not be seen and you walking carefully to reduce the sound your armor makes.

And finally you reach the edge of the forest, hiding behind a bunch of bushes you see what was laughing. A group of people were siting next to a cart some 50 meters away from you, as another group was seemingly loading fur and meet on to another cart. Looking at them you found it strange that almost all of them had different looking equipment. Seemingly not being part of a unified army you conclude that they are adventurers or that this is a unified effort of multiple empires. And seeing the number of people option one is a lot more likely.