love, war, pain, life, everything's the same to me.

"Jay? Can you hear me?"

Her friend's frozen face was staring at her in confusion, almost mocking her bad luck, and did nothing to soothe the increasing anger she already felt.

A muffled "Mal?" was heard from the other line with interference, and after a couple of seconds, the facetime call was cut off, leaving Mal alone in the strange, empty cabin room.

"This has to be a fucking joke."

Even if they were in the middle of a forest, like something plucked straight out of Twilight, surely, they would have to have a good internet signal, right? Apparently not. It was one frustration after another, and all Mal wanted to do was scream. And that's exactly what she did; she took the pillow from the new bed underneath her and screamed out her frustrations against it.

She didn't ask to be in this place, she didn't want to take care of little demons who were young enough to not know who Freddie Mercury was, and who surely required too much attention for her to give. She wanted to be with her friends, going to parties and getting drunk, with the possibility of drunk tattoos after.

She didn't know why she had let her mother drag her to this place, perhaps it was because at the time she felt guilty for making Maleficent so angry. Mal was not an angel by any stretch, and she was the first one to admit it. She was not the perfect daughter her mother had dreamed of having, and she certainly didn't make things easy for her, either. Mal had always been troubled; she'd been kicked out of countless schools over the years. And in the few where she was allowed to stay, she always caused problems, either by leaving when she shouldn't, talking back to the professors, or vandalizing private property. Admittedly, that was one time, but it was bad.

She'd never been good, but when her parents told her that they were going to get a divorce, her antics were taken a step too far, even for her. In search of revenge, she'd sold away all her father's expensive watches and her mother's fine jewelry and used the money to get her dragon tattoo. Even looking at the tattoo now, no matter how fucking awesome it was, she knew that she had exceeded her forgiveness card. In addition to having spent a small fortune in the most stupid way possible, her parents sat her down and gave her an ultimatum - almost as if they were a family from a 00' film: either she went to her father's friend's camp to work as a counsellor, to work on herself and for others, or the they were going to disown her.

At first, she couldn't answer, the truth was that she truly felt awful once the reality of what she'd done sunk in, but her stubbornness and pride wouldn't let her admit that. So, she'd packed her bags and silently got in the car with her mother to go to the place that was going to be her home for the next few months. But now that she was there, she wished she had cried, she wished she had given her opinion, and she wished she had caused a scene.

Now, sitting on a dingy bed in a cramped cabin, she realized she missed her train and now she was stuck.

Interrupting her thoughts was the ringtone coming from her phone. She lifts her face from the pillow, only to growl when she sees her mother's caller ID.

"What do you want now, mom?"

"Don't talk to me like that!"

"Sorry," Mal sits up and puts the call on speaker. "What does my dear loving mother require of me now?"

Her mother's sigh was loud through the receiver. "We agreed that you were going to call me once you settled yourself in your cabin. Well?"

"Oh, my bad. It's just that I'm still removing dried leaves from my ass, but I swear I was just about to call you."