6. The Untold Story of Hilaria

Dawn, 1877

It was still dark when a young man sidled through the dark path that leads to a house of a friend. He was named Jose Rizal. A Filipino nationalist and polymath during the tail end of the Spanish colonial period. And later been tagged as the national hero.

Mud scattered along his way to the mansion that showed footprints of dogs and some random boots. He followed where the track leads and came into an old cathedral stood between the dark forest. It was so big that the slightest lean in the walls, the merest variation from the absolutely true and level, could weaken the structure fatally. He shook his head and began to walk past the cathedral and find his way to the mansion. Armed guards went up to him and asked him some details about his early visiting.

"I'm here to see my companion, Marcelo del Pilar," he said. The guards looked at each other and they seemed to have a sort of sign language that when they turned away, the gates opened.

Golden porch filled his eyes as he set his foot in front of the mansion. It was about 25 feet high and 30 feet wide. The hall, that was above, reached by a spiral staircase, its height making it hard to attack and easy to defend. Rare antiques filled the ground floor making the mansion more ancient but attractive. To his surprise, the charming, tall gal at his age, welcomed him. Though she looks like she just got up from bed, based by the look on her eyes, she still managed to give Jose the alluring smile she could ever give.

"Good day, Mr. Rizal. I am sorry to tell you that my brother is not here today. He went to Bataan to attend some important meetings for the organization you both are in," she said full of ingenuity that literally made Jose stare at her for a long time.

He snapped back as the young gal offered her hand to him.

"Hilaria del Pilar."

"Jose Rizal. Nice meeting you."

And that was the start of their newly developed friendship that turned into something more romantic.

They often see each other at Hilaria's mansion and talk some random things. Hilaria at that moment knew that she was already falling for Jose. But she's afraid to admit what she really feels for him because she was afraid of one thing- getting dumped. Jose, on the other hand is still confused about everything that he tend to stay silent.

Until one night, Hilaria came to the room where Jose is resting in their mansion, and put a hand over his mouth to tell him not to speak. She pulled off her dress so that he could see her nude under the moonlight. Jose was preoccupied of the thought that Hilaria was in his room so he took his young body in his arms and they both made love. If that's what they called.

"I love you," Hilaria softly whispered as she lulled to sleep.

"I love you too," Jose wholeheartedly said and slowly got up the bed, trying not to make any noise that will wake Hilaria up.

The next day, Hilaria woke up with no one beside her. And she's now on her bed with a white dress she knew she didn't wear last night when they made love. Confused as she was, she went out of the room, enduring the pain between her legs. But she saw none. She scanned the whole mansion and heard the murmuring sound that came from the dining area. Slowly, she walked her way there and stopped midway as she saw the people behind those murmurs. It was her family and the Arellano's. She doesn't know what's happening and when she's about to say something, her father stood up and went to her with a faint smile, showing the crinckles on his face.

"Everyone, this is my daughter, Hilaria. The soon to be wife of Deodato Arellano," her father said without any hesitations and lead her the way to her seat. But she standstill, face still shocked and doesn't know what is happening or what she should do. Before she could make a remark, her father speak in front of everyone, loud and clear.

"My daughter was seen last night with Deodato Arellano doing something that only married couples do. And as a father, I don't want my surname to be tainted by my daughter's wrongful acts. So, as for formality, I want Deodato Arellano to marry my daughter as soon as possible."

"But Dad! I don't even know him nor had the chance to talk to him!" She wailed.

Her dad gave her deadly looks and said, "We have witnesses, Hilaria. Whether you like it or not, you are going to marry that man who shared your sexual desires with!" The authority in her father's voice, made everyone fell silent as well as her.

Though she wanted to complain and tell everyone that it was Jose, she had second thoughts. What if Jose doesn't want this? The marriage? What if Jose doesn't really love her as much as she do?

She's confused. She's lost. She wanted to be selfish but thinking about the what if's made her heart ache.

She waited. She waited for months before finally deciding about the marriage with someone she haven't known, hoping that Jose would show up but nothing happened. There's no one at their front door, smiling widely at her.

Until one day, she heard Maria- her sister talking about Jose and this girl named Josephine.

"What's up with them?" She carefully asked.

"Oh! Jose and Josephine? Well, they're now about to get married! And you know what? They look so so good together..." Maria said blabbering too much about the couple.

She lost hope. She gave up. It hurts her, knowing that the man she loves the most, left her and married someone who he thinks is better than her.

She flashed a weak smile as tears rolled up her cheeks saying, "I do," to Deodato.