~ And So It Begins ~

L was waiting on the edge of the roof for Robbie at nine fifty-five. She wanted to get out of the house as soon as possible once she'd heard the Smiths moving around. L had pretended to be asleep when Eileen came to check on her and then slipped out of the house as soon as Eileen got in the shower.

L planned to be out all day and hoped Eileen would get the message and drop the stupid dress nonsense once and for all. L snorted in amusement at that thought. Eileen was like a savage dog with a bone when she got an idea into her head, especially when it was something she could show off. L would never wear the dress; it wasn't her style, too girly and restricting.

L gazed over the rolling fields around her while lost in her thoughts. She was just about to whistle for Robbie again when the sound of the front door closing caught her attention, and she looked down.

Robbie appeared around the side of the house and smiled up at her, "Half expected you to be here at nine."

His voice was teasin, and he moved to stand by the wall when L hopped down from the roof.

"I did think about it, but Eileen was moving around at that time, and I didn't wanna bump into her. She's gonna be persistent with this dress crap."

L walked along the wall while Robbie walked beside it. He was tall enough that there wasn't much of a difference between their heights, even with the wall.

Robbie was smiling as he zipped up his hoodie. "Tell her you'll take a pair of scissors to it." He suggested with a raised brow.

"It won't work. She'll make it anyway and then probably hide the scissors. You know what she's like, I'm just gonna refuse to go anywhere near her until it's too late to get the dress sorted."

They made their way down the ginnel and headed towards the centre of town. This was where Robbie became a lot quieter. L had asked him why that was, but he never had much of an answer for her. He would just say he'd rather not be himself around people in town, L felt like there was more to his words.

But she also knew if he wanted to tell her, then he would, and she didn't question him any further on it. Instead, they generally walked through the town in near silence, ignoring anyone looking their way and making small remarks to each other. They usually whispered about something or someone they saw, and it would make the other laugh.

They managed to get L's stationery in peace. The shopkeeper, Ms. Levinson was busy with a delivery. They both rushed out of the shop after paying and headed off to find somewhere to eat.

It was a mild morning, so they agreed to grab something and eat outside away from other people. L waited for Robbie to finish paying for their food, and they walked off to find a bench beside the river. It was one of their favourite places to sit, mostly because nobody really went near there.

Robbie sat on the seat while L perched on the back. She liked sitting higher up. She wasn't sure why, but it felt right. Robbie didn't question her about her choices anymore. They had become comfortable with each others eccentricities, although that didn't stop others from picking at them.

L could see a young couple over the road staring at them and knew they'd be talking about her or Robbie, or both. She couldn't make out who it was from that distance, but if she hadn't been eating at the time, she would have gone over.

L felt a nudge to her leg and turned to see Robbie watching her.

"Don't bother, it's not worth the effort."

L furrowed her brow, glaring over at the couple until they slowly walked off.

She shook her head and looked back down at Robbie. "It's getting really boring being the subject of everyone's conversations."