Peace and Quiet

I am visited before we leave for the train by my fencing instructor, who gives me a few brief words of encouragement and a quartz ring to wear as a token if I choose.  I try not to let my disappointment show when none of my friends turn up.  They're already off to enjoy their small vacation, terrorizing the neighborhood in the rowdiest way possible.  Not even a minute of time for me before life goes on.  I sigh as I twist the ring on my finger while perched on the well-stuffed couch and wait for my escort to return.  It's going to be an entirely different story when I return as a hero, I tell myself.  They'll be falling all over themselves begging for gifts from the Capitol, to remind me of what good friends we are.

       The strap on my shoe is too tight.  I loosen it a notch and use the opportunity to stretch my arms out over my legs, popping my back to release the tension.  The urge to curl up and take a nap becomes strong, but I know I'm just nervous, an emotion that I will not let anyone see.  Never let them see.  I never let my parents know I was terrified when I was taken away to the school.  I never let them know how much my heart broke when my neighbors were sent away for criticizing the Capitol, never to be seen again.  That little boy, Darien, I think.  Darren?  Dallen.  Is he an Avox now?  I wonder if I'll see him if he is.  The Capitol is big.  He could be there and I wouldn't know it.  It's unlikely.  They're probably just dead.  His idiot parents should have kept their mouths shut.  

       At long last, the door swings open to reveal a stern-faced Peacekeeper, his hand not far from the holster of his gun.  Honestly, the formality of armed guards is idiotic.  Why would I run away?  I volunteered.  Maybe for the scared little mice from the outer Districts, but here?  

        "About time," I snap as I stand, as proud as a Queen.  "Were you building the train yourself?"

        It's time I stop thinking of the past and start acting like a Victor.