Earbuds-Steve Rogers

pairing: steve and gn!reader
summary: shy reader listens to music all the time n it makes steve worry on missions, steve confronts reader
genre: fluff n comedy ig 
warnings: swearing, steve is probably a bit ooc at the end, oops
a/n: nothing bruh

No matter what you were doing, you were always listening to music. The music helped you focus and get your mind off things or let you dwell on things much longer than you should have. Plus having constant music in the background made you feel like you were in a movie, though your job already made you feel that way, too. Being an Avenger was no ordinary job or at least that's what your mom kept telling you. It wasn't an easy job either but your habit of constantly listening to music seemed to ease it if only a little bit. Your habit didn't really interfere with your work either if anything it just made you feel more badass when you kicked a bad guy's butt with a heavy song playing in the background.

Clint thought it was funny because on more than one occasion you had pulled him into dancing with you and eventually dipping him. You both burst into giggles and leave one another with wide and goofy grins. Natasha always asked what you were listening to and either shot you a look of disgust or pride depending on the song. Peter had caught you singing not-so-quietly a few times and thought you had a really nice voice. He had also joined in but the singing turned into more of a collection of howling noises. Thor found your lighthearted attitude and the sway in your steps endearing. Tony honestly just didn't care or notice most of the time because you were still doing your job and who was he to tell you how to do your job?

Your little habit did seem to get to a certain Avenger, though. Steve mostly enjoyed seeing you dancing (if you could really call it that) around the tower while bobbing your head to whatever music you were listening to. He always knew when you were showering because every time you did you blasted music and your room was right next to his and, though he wouldn't admit it, he started listening to some of the music he could hear through the wall. The only thing he didn't like about your habit was the fact that on missions you never listened to his orders or couldn't even hear them in the first place. He couldn't stop worrying about you because you never spoke through the comms and he had to wait until the fighting was over to see you alive and well. 

He had tried to confront you about it more than once but each time he just couldn't muster the courage to do it. You were always doing something he found extremely endearing. He wasn't going to interrupt you either, he just watched for a minute before realizing he probably looked like a creep and left. His heart couldn't take the possibility of upsetting you, he was far too in love, whether he'd actually ever admit that. Your habit honestly didn't affect your work either, so, it wasn't like he could use that excuse. Maybe, just maybe, he wanted to hear your voice more often and for you to pay more attention to him.

You were bobbing your head to a song as you exit your room and plant your face into someone's chest. "Oh shit," You mumble as you pull out an earbud. When you look up to meet Steve's icy blue eyes, your face turns bright red. Your words get caught in your throat as you press a hand to Steve's chest. Shit. You try to push him away a bit but he barely moves. "S-sorry, Steve!"

He chuckles softly and his face lights up with a wide smile, "It's alright," he reassures you. He takes a step back, noticing the shade of crimson your face is. "I actually wanted to talk to you about something," 

You swallow harshly as you feel beads of sweat drip down your forehead, "Sure," you reply hesitantly. You pause your music before pulling out your other earbud, "What is it?" You ask, finally letting yourself calm down.

Steve's jaw drops a bit before he realizes you're staring and closes his mouth. He had never seen you without at least one earbud in or music blasting nearby. "It's about the music," He starts. He drops his hands to his sides as he regains his composure. "It's really not safe, especially on missions. We need to-" He cuts himself off starting again, "I need to know where you are and how you are."

You nod, "I understand, Cap. I didn't mean to cause any trouble, really," You put your hands up in defense. "It's just that music helps me especially when we're on missions," You confess as you fiddle with your fingers. "I'm sorry if I messed up any of the missions or made you worry it just-"

Steve places a hand on your cheek.

"Steve?" Your voice comes out several octaves higher than usual. "What are you-"

Steve cuts you off yet again this time by speaking, "I just wanted you to stop talking," he chuckles. "It's alright if you listen to music but can you communicate when we're on missions?"

You nod vigorously, "Yeah, yeah." Your eyes flicker from his eyes to his lips. You had never been this close to anyone, let alone your crush.

"Thank you," Steve moves his hand from your cheek to your hair. He ruffles your hair and you turn back into a tomato.

"Heh," you breathe out. "Steve, you're going to kill me." Your eyes widen with the realization you said that out loud. "I'm sorry!" You quickly squeal out. "I just- you're really hot-" Shit! "I mean I think you're cute- I mean you touched my face and I-"

You're cut off as Steve locks his lips with your own. He pulls away with a small smile, "I couldn't stand seeing you struggle so much." He presses his lips back onto yours and you kiss back, placing a hand in his hair.

"Shit, Steve," You mumble onto his lips.

He pulls away to let out a laugh, "Am I that bad?"

You shake your head, "Quite the opposite."